• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Equipment list for rabbit owners

mabels mum

Warren Scout
I don't know if there's a thread similar to this anywhere on RU but thought it might be useful for those new to owning bunnies.

When I first started owning rabbits I bought all the usual - water bottle, wood shavings, hay, food, small corner litter tray, but I've found along the way that some of these things were the wrong choices and that there are things I've bought since, which I never thought of initially, that are crucial to keeping my rabbits. I've also wasted lots of money on wrong choices.

I thought people might like to add what equipment they use on a daily basis that is definitely worth spending money on to make the job of keeping rabbits easier and give the rabbits everything they need. I got lots of my things from pound shops to keep costs down. I will also add that mine are indoor buns so some things may vary for those kept outdoors. Also, I understand that it can be trial and error to find things that work best for different people and their rabbits so I'm not saying that this is the best list or the only way to do things, it's just what works for me and thought it might help other newbies.

So here goes:

Cleaning out litter trays and accommodation
under bed storage boxes for litter trays - at least 2
rubber mat to put under litter tray (cut to size) to stop it slipping
plastic scoop for cleaning out trays
plant spray filled with mix of half water/half white vinegar for cleaning trays
black bin bags
kitchen roll - loads of cheap ones from pound shop
old tea towels
dust pan and brush for sweeping out pen
dust buster hoover for stray bits of hay (my black and decker dust buster pivot 18v is a godsend!)
a good absorbant non-clumping litter
tons of hay

Eating and drinking
plastic collander for washing forage and greens
gardening gloves for clipping prickly forage such as rose and bramble
secatures (not sure how to spell???) for clipping forage
plastic cat treat balls for feeding pellets (I got 4 for a pound!)
old tea towel for mopping up green juice from fresh greens
heavy ceramic bowl for water - I find rabbits drink more and it's more natural
pellets not museli mix
tons of hay
a hay rack to put above the litter tray

Toys and enrichment
I've spent loads on different things to chew, toss and hide in but the best have been:
cardboard tubes - I get everyone to save me theirs
cardboard boxes
grass hidey house
grass mats (good for feet too!)
any tunnels
anything made of water hyacinth - balls, tunnels, mats

I'm sure I've missed lots of things so please add other equipment you use for yours. :)

(Edited to say that wasn't sure where to post it, so mods please move if it's in the wrong place.)

You don't realise how much you need do you.

Fresh air is important for indoor rabbits as well.
Nail clippers

Back