• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mineral stones?

Ailstar

Mama Doe
Hi, I'm pretty sure that the mineral stones you can buy for rabbits in pet shops etc are unnecessary but my mum is convinced I should get one for my two she'd read in a magazine that they were good for then/wore teeth down...I said they wouldn't really wear their teeth and that hay will do that, and that they will get all their nutrients from their food, but I don't think she believed me...and now I'm doubting myself!!

I'm not sure about whether they really need the minerals, or whether they help to wear the front teeth down significantly, but I know my buns do love the tooth brush ones..unfortunately only available from P@H as far as I know.

(have just checked, and there are some on ebay...double the price :roll: )

Last edited:
No, they don't need them. A good diet is where they get all their goodness and wear teeth down.

You were right - totally unnecessary if bun has a healthy diet. Only the particular way they grind hay/grass will wear down all the teeth.

You'd probably want to avoid ones that have a lot of calcium in anyway, and I doubt they do anything for teeth wearing. Hay would be the way to go there.

I used to give mine them now and then but they don't need them. I don't bother with them anymore, like you it was pretty much to satisfy my mam that they got them!

Oh good. I'm glad I was right. As long as I know I am that's fine. :)

It is one of those old-fashioned ideas - similar to the one that believed rabbits should have those awful fruit sticks, packed with sugar, attached to their hutch at all times!;)

Back