• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting rabbits in their run at 4:30 am - too early?

My rabbits will not let me touch them in the morning. They have gotten so used to being allowed out of their hutch to free roam the garden, until they decide to come close enough to their run so that I can lift it up and let them run under.

The problem is, I hate doing this. I get so paranoid and worried that a cat will come. So I have started waking up at 4am to let them out as I am pretty sure no cat will be around at that time. And there is absolutely no chance of them letting me pick them up, they run right into the corners of their hutch to avoid being picked up in the morning.

It's quite bright outside at that time, but is it too early? I really hate doing it at a 'normal' time as they can take anything from five to 45 minutes to go in, and it is just dreadful I get so worried.

So what is your thoughts, is it too early to let them out? It's three hours before they'd usually be let out.

Thanks.

Well mine have access to their run 24/7 so I wouldn't say 4.30am is too early. Is there no way you can give them access to theirs 24/7 (making sure it was fox-proof first)? Then they could come and go as they please and you could let them free range when you were available to supervise.

Well mine have access to their run 24/7 so I wouldn't say 4.30am is too early. Is there no way you can give them access to theirs 24/7 (making sure it was fox-proof first)? Then they could come and go as they please and you could let them free range when you were available to supervise.

:thumb:
It is so much better when they have constant access to their run.

I agree with the other comments that it would be best if you could connect the run to the hutch and give them 24 hour access.
You could try clicker training your rabbits, with the aim of eventually being able to get them to come to you on command.

If you take a look at the RWAF website I believe it says that hutches should have a permanently attached run of minimum 8ft x 4ft.

To me, there are pros and cons to having a permanently attached run. I know someone who had an 'ideal' setup - 6' x 8' wendy house, 6' square attached run. Approved by the RSPCA, who let them have 2 rabbits. Those rabbits were NEVER handled, groomed (longhaired), or let out in the run. They spent most of their time in the gloom of the shed, had overgrown nails, and were terrified of everything. However, my set up would not be approved on this basis so I would not be able to adopt - but I know which rabbits had the better care and more space overall.

I like to be able to move the runs onto fresh grass regularly, so they are not attached to the hutches, but they do have access for many hours a day. It also means that all my rabbits and guinea pigs are handled at least twice a day, which means that any health issues can be picked up so much earlier as you notice even small differences in weight, condition and behaviour. Animals that are handled regularly (even if only for a couple of minutes a day) are so much easier to treat if there is a problem, as they are less stressed by it.

4am is OK to go out at the moment - it's quite nice out at this time of year and light enough to deter foxes round here, although it is getting lighter later now.

Your rabbits will get used to being handled if you persevere, or could you get them to go into a carrier and then put them in the run? Some of mine soon learn the route in and out of the run and can be trained to 'go to bed', so that is another option - although it doesn't always work as they know when you are in a rush and then decide to go AWOL.

The run was originally attached to their hutch. However, they dug up the area so quickly that it was unusable. Now we move them around the garden every three days - giving them fresh grass and allowing us to fill in any holes they've dug.

Is this still bad? They have a lot of things in their hutch to play with and climb and always have fresh vegetables, hay and grass (I pick it and put it in their hutch).

The run was originally attached to their hutch. However, they dug up the area so quickly that it was unusable. Now we move them around the garden every three days - giving them fresh grass and allowing us to fill in any holes they've dug.

Is this still bad? They have a lot of things in their hutch to play with and climb and always have fresh vegetables, hay and grass (I pick it and put it in their hutch).

My buns are diggers - I'm planning their next set ups now. I'll be having paving slabs under the runs, with pots with grass growing in the pots on the slabs - they still get to enjoy the grass, but I won;t have to worry about them digging out or anything else digging in :)

My buns are diggers - I'm planning their next set ups now. I'll be having paving slabs under the runs, with pots with grass growing in the pots on the slabs - they still get to enjoy the grass, but I won;t have to worry about them digging out or anything else digging in :)

That sounds great! It would definitely put your mind at ease when you're not around to check on them.

My rabbits have little huts in their run, and when I look out they are usually hidden behind them but I always go out to make sure they are actually there. One time I didn't, and to my horror one of the rabbits had escaped. Thankfully I looked out the window twenty minutes later and seen him hopping about the garden.

That sounds great! It would definitely put your mind at ease when you're not around to check on them.

My rabbits have little huts in their run, and when I look out they are usually hidden behind them but I always go out to make sure they are actually there. One time I didn't, and to my horror one of the rabbits had escaped. Thankfully I looked out the window twenty minutes later and seen him hopping about the garden.

Rabbits don't need to be on grass. They are actually much safer on slabs. Could you move the hutch onto slabs so you can then attach the run? They could then use this, whatever the weather, and you could always have another run you could move around the garden if you wanted to. As long as they have plenty of good hay they'll be fine.

Rabbits don't need to be on grass. They are actually much safer on slabs. Could you move the hutch onto slabs so you can then attach the run? They could then use this, whatever the weather, and you could always have another run you could move around the garden if you wanted to. As long as they have plenty of good hay they'll be fine.

I could. However, they love grass. All they do is dig, all day. The vet usually comments on how nicely trimmed their claws are because of this.

Plus they are separated, and have two separate hutches. Only one hutch can have a run attached to it, the other was built with the intention of the run being moved around the garden. The vet deemed it too dangerous to neuter them because of how small they are. But it's fine, they can both see each other from their hutches and we position their runs side by side, so they're never lonely.

I could. However, they love grass. All they do is dig, all day. The vet usually comments on how nicely trimmed their claws are because of this.

Plus they are separated, and have two separate hutches. Only one hutch can have a run attached to it, the other was built with the intention of the run being moved around the garden. The vet deemed it too dangerous to neuter them because of how small they are. But it's fine, they can both see each other from their hutches and we position their runs side by side, so they're never lonely.

How old are the rabbits?

I work shifts so my buns get let out and put to bed at all sorts of weird times. When I need to be at work for 0600 they get put out at 0415 and seem happy enough as they get their breakfast noms at the same time.

Am on a night shift tonight and had to put them to bed while it was still light before I went to work. They were NOT impressed!!!

I work shifts so my buns get let out and put to bed at all sorts of weird times. When I need to be at work for 0600 they get put out at 0415 and seem happy enough as they get their breakfast noms at the same time.

Am on a night shift tonight and had to put them to bed while it was still light before I went to work. They were NOT impressed!!!

I can imagine, haha! My rabbits thump and wreck the inside of their hutches if they get put in early!

Do you know their weight?

Is your vet rabbit savvy? I haven't heard of an adult rabbit being too small for neutering.

I'm not sure of their weight. However, they are both tiny. The assistant vet thought they were babies, and when we put them in kennels the workers also thought they were babies. They are both smaller than 'normal' Netherland Dwarf rabbits. I can hold both in one hand.

Back