• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray clean out frequency

Hiya all, this is a massive newbie question (only had my bunny a day), but I've heard conflicting advice on how often to clean her litter tray.

Common sense tells me every day, a full clean and replacement, especially in this summer heat. But I read an article on flystrike today, and it said a clean out every other day, with new hay on top of any poo, and this was for summer months. I don't want to overdo it and waste materials, but I hate the thought of my little Sylvie sitting in urine soaked conditions.

Any suggestions would be great, again, sorry if it's a daft question. =p

I think it's up to you to be honest. Mine have 3 litter trays so I clean out every other day and top up with hay every day.

I have three bunnies, and four trays with puppy pads. The trays get changed morning and night, so twice a day. It depends a little on what kind of litter you use, but def change frequently in hot weather :thumb:

Every evening I remove any wet litter (I use a paper based cat litter) and wet hay, and if there's a big pile of poo then grab those too! I don't worry about getting them all though if they're scattered about a bit. Then I replace the litter I've removed and top up with more hay. If a lot is wet then I tip the whole lot out and start again!

I clean my buns out completely every morning, particularly this time of year before buzzy things are around. Mine are mahoosive hay eaters so sometimes top up in the evening too.

I change bunnies' litter trays every day (empty out dirty litter/newspaper, quick wipe and add fresh hay) but I only properly clean and wash the trays once a week.. I never really see any flies around, I'm more bothered about them eating their hay, which they'll only do if it's fresh and not sitting on top of dirty litter.

Every other day seems sufficient for my two. I use carefresh litter which is absortbant and controls odour with a thick layer of hay on top. I use an underbed storage box as a litter tray so there's loads of room for them both. There's a hay rack above which I fill morning and night and pull any left over hay out into the litter tray.

Thanks for all the friendly advice people =)

Her litter tray is just layers of newspaper with a lot of hay in there. she's got a hay rack next to it, but she does seem to like eating the hay in the litter box, which is fine.

I think while the weather's warm I'm going to play it safe and gut it once a day. I've got quite a bit of hay (for the time being), so I can afford a bit of waste.

Yup, I'm a little paranoid of flystrike. But I haven't seen any flies around really. Before getting a bunny I made a point of never hurting a living thing, so I tended to leave flies to it. Now that I have Sylvie, I'm afraid flies are annihilated on sight. Oops...

When I tried using newspaper I changed it every day as I found it seems to stay wetter than litter does, and the wetness spreads further! I would also give the tray a quick wipe if it looks like it's soaked through to the bottom layer.

I used to use something called Smartbedz which was incredibly absorbent and never smelt even after several days. After several months of using it my buns suddenly decided to eat it rather than their hay. To my mind anything that absorbent would have to dry out little bunny tummies so rightly or wrongly I stopped using it not willing to take the chance. I now change their litter tray at least once a day (twice in really hot weather) but I actually find the more often you change the litter tray the quicker and easier it is to do.

I have indoor buns & I use underbed storage boxes for their litter tray and picked up three complete with lid when the local DIY store was doing a "buy two get one free" deal. It makes it really easy to pop the lid on and not worry about spilling it as I carry it out to the garden and down to the compost bin. Having the lids also means that if it starts to pour down with rain I can just pop it outside the back door with the lid on until the rain stops.

Back