• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Car Journey

Nic.

Warren Scout
Hi all :wave:

I'm taking my bunnies with me to visit my nan today. It's a 2/12 - 3 hour car journey. Any advice for the trip?

I can't attach a water bottle to the carry case, will they be ok with just wet veggies?

I've also heard rescue remedy is good for keeping them calm. Is that true? I do have some here.

Hi all :wave:

I'm taking my bunnies with me to visit my nan today. It's a 2/12 - 3 hour car journey. Any advice for the trip?

I can't attach a water bottle to the carry case, will they be ok with just wet veggies?

I've also heard rescue remedy is good for keeping them calm. Is that true? I do have some here.

I hope this doesn't sound awful but are they OK in the car generally? Is it really necessary to take them on a 3 hour car journey just for a visit?

Don't take it the wrong way hun just I personally wouldn't take my bunnies on a stressful car journey just so a relative could see them. If there's another reason for it then i'll shut up on the spot but that's just my own opinion. xx

I hope this doesn't sound awful but are they OK in the car generally? Is it really necessary to take them on a 3 hour car journey just for a visit?

Don't take it the wrong way hun just I personally wouldn't take my bunnies on a stressful car journey just so a relative could see them. If there's another reason for it then i'll shut up on the spot but that's just my own opinion. xx

They're generally fine in the car but haven't been on a long journey before. They've been in the car around an hour with no problems. I hadn't really considered that this could be bad for them. The reason I'm bringing them is because I can't find anyone to look after them. My father was going to have them originally but couldn't and I'd rather keep them with me whilst they're on medication than find a random person to take them. Do you think it'll be okay? I just presumed they'd be fine with it to be honest.

They're generally fine in the car but haven't been on a long journey before. They've been in the car around an hour with no problems. I hadn't really considered that this could be bad for them. The reason I'm bringing them is because I can't find anyone to look after them. My father was going to have them originally but couldn't and I'd rather keep them with me whilst they're on medication than find a random person to take them. Do you think it'll be okay? I just presumed they'd be fine with it to be honest.

If its so they can be looked after while you are away then there's a good reason to be taking them so far! I assumed you were just taking them to see your nan and then bring them straight home. I just didn't want you to realize that they were very stressed a couple of hours into a car journey and then worry yourself when they were at your nans. As we all know bunnies can get very stressed easily!

I hope you don't think i'm being rude hun, just wanted to give you the best advice :wave: If you need to take them then I would suggest a water bottle on the carrier, lots of hay and when I go to the vets I put a blanket or towel over the carrier as Finn gets really stressed in the car.

If you aren't sure you could always see if there's any boarding near you? THey are usually good at giving medication and stuff providing they are good and im sure someone here could suggest one x

If its so they can be looked after while you are away then there's a good reason to be taking them so far! I assumed you were just taking them to see your nan and then bring them straight home. I just didn't want you to realize that they were very stressed a couple of hours into a car journey and then worry yourself when they were at your nans. As we all know bunnies can get very stressed easily!

I hope you don't think i'm being rude hun, just wanted to give you the best advice :wave: If you need to take them then I would suggest a water bottle on the carrier, lots of hay and when I go to the vets I put a blanket or towel over the carrier as Finn gets really stressed in the car.

If you aren't sure you could always see if there's any boarding near you? THey are usually good at giving medication and stuff providing they are good and im sure someone here could suggest one x

Of course I don't think you're rude, I welcome all the advice I can get :lol: The blanket's a good idea, thanks for the help :D

Also, forgot to mention, I don't think I could have done the boarding because Lana's vaccinations aren't up to date. Vet wants to wait a while until she's properly finished all her medicine.

Of course I don't think you're rude, I welcome all the advice I can get :lol: The blanket's a good idea, thanks for the help :D

Also, forgot to mention, I don't think I could have done the boarding because Lana's vaccinations aren't up to date. Vet wants to wait a while until she's properly finished all her medicine.

Ah I see, OK well I hope all goes well with your journey. Shame you couldn't get anyone to look in on them for you. I would definitely suggest a blanket. just makes them feel more secure I think. I just pulled this from a thread about car journeys:

1) Put a few drops of RESCUE REMEDY in the bunnies drinking water for a few days prior to the journey, and I will do the same after they arrive here (I know you can't do this but maybe just before you go?)

2) Dot Lavender Oil around the inside of the carrier (out of reach of the bunnies though..under of top of carrier?) to keep them calm and relaxed.

3) Cover the carrier with a towel to make it dark, bunnies settle better when transported like this.

4) Play nice soothing music in the car for them (and you the car driver )

5) Take short breaks in the car along the way, and check bunnies are okay.

6) Ensure water and hay is available all the time. We pop hay into a tissue box and the rabbits lie on a thick towel or Vet bed inside the carrier.

Ah I see, OK well I hope all goes well with your journey. Shame you couldn't get anyone to look in on them for you. I would definitely suggest a blanket. just makes them feel more secure I think. I just pulled this from a thread about car journeys:

1) Put a few drops of RESCUE REMEDY in the bunnies drinking water for a few days prior to the journey, and I will do the same after they arrive here (I know you can't do this but maybe just before you go?)

2) Dot Lavender Oil around the inside of the carrier (out of reach of the bunnies though..under of top of carrier?) to keep them calm and relaxed.

3) Cover the carrier with a towel to make it dark, bunnies settle better when transported like this.

4) Play nice soothing music in the car for them (and you the car driver )

5) Take short breaks in the car along the way, and check bunnies are okay.

6) Ensure water and hay is available all the time. We pop hay into a tissue box and the rabbits lie on a thick towel or Vet bed inside the carrier.

Thanks for this, I'll be able to do all of that so that's good. Luckily, I'm not the driver so I can keep a close eye on them and sit with them. Hopefully it'll all go fine, they normally just lie down and rest so I'm hoping they'll do that :D

Back