• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Megazorb - worth a try?

Bicky123

Young Bun
Hi all :wave:

I currently use high-quality dust extracted wood shavings from a wholesale country & equestrian shop for both my indoor and outdoor buns. It is OK, though pretty messy with my lionhead bun.
I've read a bit about wood shavings causing liver problems as its dusty, but these shavings seem to be pretty good.

Another thing is - are shavings abrasive to the feet? Ie problems with sore hocks?

Anyway quick look-up about Megazorb and its very cheap ! £6.99 for 15kg at the store I use.

What are people's thoughts with Megazorb - is it abrasive at all with buns feet?

Thanks!
Alice

Hi all :wave:

I currently use high-quality dust extracted wood shavings from a wholesale country & equestrian shop for both my indoor and outdoor buns. It is OK, though pretty messy with my lionhead bun.
I've read a bit about wood shavings causing liver problems as its dusty, but these shavings seem to be pretty good.

Another thing is - are shavings abrasive to the feet? Ie problems with sore hocks?

Anyway quick look-up about Megazorb and its very cheap ! £6.99 for 15kg at the store I use.

What are people's thoughts with Megazorb - is it abrasive at all with buns feet?

Thanks!
Alice

I personally love megazorb, it lessens the mess from wee's so much as it just soaks right in! At the minute with Milo having a little bit of a callous developing I've had them on a layer of megazorb and then a layer of hay. But before when I just was using the megazorb it was nice a soft. Only thing I would say is it does tend to get everywhere! But it is really good, helps with smells, mess and is obviously cheap for you! I pay a bit more than that for a bag.

I used to use it and it ws much better than shavings and of course less dusty. I tend to just use a thick layer of newpaper with hay on top these days and clean regularly

I've not tried megazorb but it's often recommended, fitch is a similar product which a lot of people on here swear by as well. :thumb:

The liver problems with wood shavings are actually because they release phenols, so even if they appear to be dust-free that issue applies. :wave:
Dust is a separate issue linked to respiratory problems, but most beddings will have some level of dust.

I tried Megazorb and hated it. I have indoor buns and the stuff ended up all over the carpets and stuck to socks etc.

I prefer wood pellet cat litter.

We used to use Megazorb, but it got everywhere! The buns are indoor and would traipse it through the house. I was constantly hoovering up!
We switched to Fitch a couple of months ago and can not recommend it highly enough! No smell, highly absorbant and the pieces stay in the litter tray

I've not tried megazorb but it's often recommended, fitch is a similar product which a lot of people on here swear by as well. :thumb:

The liver problems with wood shavings are actually because they release phenols, so even if they appear to be dust-free that issue applies. :wave:
Dust is a separate issue linked to respiratory problems, but most beddings will have some level of dust.

^^ This about sawdust & wood shavings :thumb:

We used to use Megazorb, but it got everywhere! The buns are indoor and would traipse it through the house. I was constantly hoovering up!
We switched to Fitch a couple of months ago and can not recommend it highly enough! No smell, highly absorbant and the pieces stay in the litter tray

I have outdoor bunnies and I use megazorb, I love it :love:.

I don't spread it around the rest of the hutch, like you traditionally did, instead I have vinyl flooring fitted in the bottom of the hutch and use litter trays with a layer of hay over the top.

It is much more absorbent than wood shavings and you can just remove the old hay and scoop out the soiled megazorb. It can be a be smelly when you first buy it as it normally comes in the plastic sack but I find the smell soon goes once I transfer it to my bin that I keep it in.

It is ideal for outside bunnies, but I don't know if I would use it for indoor rabbits as it can cling to clothing, etc.

I just use newspaper and hay with my buns, but I do use megazorb for my hamsters and it's good stuff.

Im trying Megazorb at the moment. I am putting it in the rabbit's litter trays but also in the guinea pigs' run because they wee everywhere and I struggle to keep them dry :roll:. The Megazorb is working really well. I clean out the wet bits every night, but it is so absorbant it is never soggy and so much better for the guineas.

I use megazorb for my 2 mini lops who live in a 9x6 play shed. I line each litter tray with newspaper, then megazorb and hay on top. Really easy to clean out. 

Back