• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and cats?!

maggyrose

Warren Scout
I'm thinking of adopting a rescue kitten, last time Arthur my bunny met a kitten he really frightened it.

The kitten was so scared of him and he was quite bolshy!

This was at mums house where I stayed temporarily.

But over time does the kitten and rabbit become used to each other? I know they may not be best buds but would they withstand each other at least?

I want a young kitten to give the best chance of it respecting the bunnies, the bunnies live in utility room but can roam free, just choose to stay in utility and sometimes venture as far as kitchen.

Thanks

I have no advice really but I would LOVE a kitten!! And would be interested to see how other people get on. (No kittens for me because I work).

I know out cats were petrified of my childhood rabbit custard! Custard would lie around being massive and grunt at the cats if they came anywhere near him and they would leg it. I imagine keeping them safely separate when unsupervised and the kittens personality it would be important.

I have a cat, but my rabbits are outside so it's different in my case. My bunnies have a shed and big aviary run that is meshed with 16g 1/2" x 1/2" so it's predator proof.

we had a cat (died of old age) . He was a slightly timid cat - odd as he had been feral but of the two cats we have had in the past (one pre bunnies) he was the timider.

Anyway - he was petrified of the rabbits as they used to chase him dreadfully. One in particular would wait and leap out at him and nip his ankles. He used to think he was safe by running up the stairs indoors but then we got Parsley - who saw stairs as no hindrance (though never purposely chased the cat).

I think the problem was that having been chased by one rabbit the cat could not seem to tell the difference and thought ALL rabbits would chase him.

PS he was adult when we got him.

My rabbit is a bit stupid with other animals - everything is a friend! It's how she ended up in the jaws of a fox! A fox came in the garden and she ran up to the side of her run and it grabbed her!

That aside, my friend has a kitten that she brings over to my place and my bun and her play together it's so cute. I think if your rabbit is tolerant of other animals and the cat is young enough they can be taught to get along and learn they are friends not food! X

I have eight buns (six outdoor and two indoor) and five cats and they all get on fine. They are not supervised at all - I work long hours and it would be totally impractical. One of my cats - Pippa - thinks she is a rabbit and hates the other cats.

My guinea-pigs, on the other hand, are kept in a spare room to which the cats have no access. I was also more cautious when my buns were babies and cat and bunny interactions were supervised then.

They all just accept each other as being part of the family.

I know a lot of people think they shouldn't be left together unsupervised but that just wouldn't work with my lifestyle and the way my house and garden are set out. I've never had a cat/rabbit injury (although I know that doesn't mean I never will) but I have had cat/cat scraps occasionally, mainly from Pippa who does not tolerate the other cats (despite being a stray who turned up last).

No problems here with cat and rabbit!

That's brilliant :D

thanks everyone, im getting a female solid black moggy x british shorthair rescue kitten, she is adorable, i have bought a door screen today to separate buns/kitten when not supervised at first, aiming in future to keep all free roaming.

wish us luck!

My friend has a dog, cat and 3 giant rabbits all living free range in the house and garden; they all get on well but she has said she really has to be careful with the rabbits stealing the dog and cat's food out of their bowls, the male rabbit loves dog biscuits and will mug them out of the dog's mouth :shock:

I have 4 rabbits and a 3 legged old cat, he lies sunbathing on the garden path whilst the buns jump all over him. ;)

WP_20140609_001_zps6b866639.jpg

P180911_15440002.jpg

Last edited:
3 bunnies, 5 cats, never had an issue. Had various cats of different ages and various rabbits over the years.

Holly likes to sleep in the bunny shed, the rabbits give me 'that' look if I accidently shut her in the bunny shed overnight with them:roll:

The cats/kitten know that the rabbits rule. The rabbits are outside but my cats go out, the neighbours cats visit too.

Heres Boo my kitten with my trio

Its lovely to know that cats could be a future addition to the hairy family!

Do they get on better if the rabbits were in the house first or does this not affect their relationship?

My mum always said that the dogs got on with the cats better because it was the cats home first. I wondered if this was the same for rabbits and other animals?

I'm happy to see other people who also have cats and rabbits living alongside each other happily. I have a labrador, three cats/ kittens and recently adopted two english lop bunnies they get on amazing, they snuggle up together for a snooze, play together and even sun bathe together and will often drink out the same bowl at the same time (they all have their own water bowls/ bottles but all prefer the dog bowl). As others have said they are all free range in the house and I must admit the bunnies are definetly in charge

Its lovely to know that cats could be a future addition to the hairy family!

Do they get on better if the rabbits were in the house first or does this not affect their relationship?

My mum always said that the dogs got on with the cats better because it was the cats home first. I wondered if this was the same for rabbits and other animals?

Our cats were always here before the rabbits, all adult cats too.

My cat isn't interested in the guinea pigs either!

I have 3 cats and 2 rabbits, one rabbit recently bonded with Twix, All 3 cats are used to other animals but the newest rabbit isn't sure about them yet. Its taking time for her to get used to them, and to make her realise they aren't going to hurt her. One of my cats Kaspar will play in a tunnel with Twix, i feel i need to supervise them though incase Kaspar gets a bit over excited with his claws but generally they get on great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think as a general rule rabbits and cats are fine, but obviously it all depends on the individuals involved so there isn't a guarantee they'll get along. My cat never met Bella Bunny but if she had I'm sure she would've been terrified, she's such a wimp :lol:

Donny and Lola would get incredibly stressed if the cat came near them during a carrier walk through the kitchen to get out of the house, now I go the long way round! Poppy doesn't care though, but she has always been around different animals so is probably just used to it. She's not in the same house as her any more though so I can't say how they would react now.

I have two cats and two rabbits. Mine would never be unsupervised together, my female cat and female rabbit are both stroppy and while they've never gone for each other at all, I don't fully trust either of them. I prefer to be there so I can nudge them out of each others space. Charlie and Puddy love each other though!

Back