• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

new rabbits

shauni

New Kit
I recently got 2 rabbits. One has been having a few problems ie messing herself. She is normally very shy bit this evening seemed very clingy around my feet. I fed and watered but she didn't seem interest so I tried hand feeding.g and watering which was a bare minimum. I have researched on the internet not to give baby rabbits human food but found she would only eat a small sliver of carrot I am worried she hasn't eaten or drank enough for today and have no access to vets at this time does anyone have any advice

You need to establish when she last ate and if she is pooing.

If she is not pooing or has not eaten for several hours, she needs to see a vet tonight as a matter of urgency. The same goes for if she has watery diarrhea. If you ring your normal vet's number there should be answer machine message with details of the emergency vet.

If she will still eat her dry food (maybe try putting some water on it and letting it soak up the water) then you could possibly leave it till morning but personally, with a rabbit having those issues and acting that way I would want them seen by the vet tonight. She sounds like she is in a lot of pain and she will need pain killers. Depending on the issue, she may also need syringe-feeding or gut stimulants - these should not be attempted without seeing a vet first as can make things worse if used when there is a blockage. The vet should palpate her gut and check for a blockage. The vet will also check for signs of dental problems that could be causing the pain.

If she hasn't had carrot before I would not feed it to her, it could make things worse.

I hope she is okay and good luck xx

Last edited:
She has been pooingg. She had some pellets hay and water just not a lot. Normally she scoffs it down very quickly but was eaten slower tonight than normal. No runny poo little solid ones no different to normal. Thank you for your advice

It sounds like a gut slow down to me, if left untreated this can be extremely dangerous and sometimes fatal if not caught early.
I really would get her to the emergency vet tonight, if a blockage is ruled out she should be given a gut stimulant, pin relief, fluids if dehydrated and syringe feeding. You may have to keep up with the syringe feeding every few hours, even through the night.

:(

Unfornatley we didn't notice anything was wrong before it was too late. There was nothing any one could do and Molly sadly passed before we had chance to get help. Whilst speaking to the rabbit lady she informed me that Molly had severe digestinal problems. I am know more aware of the symptoms as these are my first rabbits and will continue to keep a closer eye on the other rabbit.

Hi Shauni
I got your PM but when I looked at the thread I saw your sad update.
I'm really sorry for your loss.
Digestive problems in rabbits are very serious and they can go from fine to an emergency in a matter of hours - I'm sorry that you had to find this out with your first rabbits.

I hope your other rabbit is doing okay, make sure you keep a close eye on what he/she is eating, drinking and toileting. Digestive problems are often diet or stress based, so it would be worth keeping your other bunny's diet very plain for now -just hay and pellets, nothing else, especially if they are related.

Back