• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At a loss with grooming Binky?

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Binkys a really shy rabbit as such and she is now after a year and a month starting to like me, give me kisses etc
She plays in the playroom (same temp as outdoors) for an hour a day with me

When it comes to grooming (which is only about once a month because how much she fights!) Shes awful
She grunts, kicks and scratches
That was just me grooming her fur too as she seems to ve constantly moulting where she won't let me brush her much
she just doesn't want to sit still :lol:
Shes terrible for claws too but we manage and shes due her vaccinations soon so the vet can do it :lol:

Anyone else with rabbits who dont sit still, how do you groom them and clip their claws without them kicking off and hating you for a day? :lol:
Bella likes being groomed and my previous rabbit Marleen loved it too, Binkys just being difficult :lol:

Harvey doesn't like it at all. I just try to get it over with and have him hate me for days afterwards. I figure it's better that than a blockage. I try to bribe him with fenugreek crunchies afterwards.

Harvey doesn't like it at all. I just try to get it over with and have him hate me for days afterwards. I figure it's better that than a blockage. I try to bribe him with fenugreek crunchies afterwards.
She doesnt take bribery :lol:
Im worried shes going to hurt herself or break our bond because she kicks and it really just doesnt work shes also getting very clever at out smarting me and running the opposite way :lol:

I'm afraid I don't do Spenser's nails myself - definitely a job for the vet in our case. He also dislikes being brushed, but will tolerate having his mane combed.

Unfortunately some rabbits never really get used to being handled although really it is necessary, especially in the summer for outdoor bunnies or those at risk from flystrike.

Good luck! :wave:

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't do Spenser's nails myself - definitely a job for the vet in our case. He also dislikes being brushed, but will tolerate having his mane combed.

Unfortunately some rabbits never really get used to being handled although really it is necessary, especially in the summer for outdoor bunnies or those at risk from flystrike.

Good luck! :wave:

Im not too fussed that she will never get used to being handled - I already have one cuddlebun;) and she is so content just Binkying around so seeing her happy makes it worth having as little hands on as possible

I managed to brush her a little bit last night but I didn't get much fur off - I managed to check her bum so at least I can do that!
Will try the brush again later I guess ill just have to groom her for a few minutes every day for a week rather than for 10-15 minuites a week in one go like I can for Bella :lol: :roll:
rabbits love to keep us on our toes!

Is she okay with just being stroked? Because something I've used with stroppy horses or dogs is put a rubber washing up glove on and stroke as normal, it picks up stray hairs! Sometimes it's best to just dampen the glove first depending on hair type (literally just a mist of water not enough to soak anyone!) if she doesn't like being stroked just kind of stroke over her as she goes past, don't hold her down or try keep her still as that may be the issue! Not tried this with rabbits and it may be a long job just the occasional stroke as she hops by but it might be worth trying! Nails sound like a vet job though :lol: xx

Is she okay with just being stroked? Because something I've used with stroppy horses or dogs is put a rubber washing up glove on and stroke as normal, it picks up stray hairs! Sometimes it's best to just dampen the glove first depending on hair type (literally just a mist of water not enough to soak anyone!) if she doesn't like being stroked just kind of stroke over her as she goes past, don't hold her down or try keep her still as that may be the issue! Not tried this with rabbits and it may be a long job just the occasional stroke as she hops by but it might be worth trying! Nails sound like a vet job though :lol: xx
Sorry only just seen this :wave: but she doesn't like being stroked either :roll: :lol:

Back