• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling a bit fed up

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
I know i post about this a lot and I know everyone is probably fed up of reading now but im a bit fed up.

I really thought Betty was doing better and her last couple of infections have started to respond to treatment after just a couple of days but this one is really lingering. I thought she was doing better and her eye looked less red but it looks just as bad today as it did thursday when she first started to look poorly.

I just want her to be better and I know that her not responding to treatment is not a good sign for the future. She is only nearly 3 and I was hoping that this was manageable. She is only a little lion head and I dont think she would survive the anaesthetic of dentals and more xrays. This is the 3rd lot of drops she has had over a year that have stopped working. I have asked on here before about good local vets but no one replys and there is only the ones we already use or one a 40 minute drive away which isnt ideal when I called the rwaf.

They have already said they cant do surgery and I dont know what else I am suppose to be doing. I think I have read every article online and post about it but I dont know what I am suppose to do.

14597137224_3a2a9fb2d4.jpg

14597138114_47141cd2fb.jpg

These were the best pictures i could get but they dont show how pink the area is. :(

Last edited:
I'm sorry I have no advice to give but just wanted to send positive healing vibes. I hope Betty gets better soon x

What a pretty little rabbit. Sorry you are having trouble with her eye. Why cant they do surgery?

Lots of people have rabbits that regularly have dentals under g/a. My Mottle will be going in for his second one soon ...

Hope you manage to find a solution. Could your vet contact the RAWF one?

What's exactly wrong with her? Eye problems can be from many things. I have a bun with eye problems and I know how frustrating it can be. She always squints one eye and it's generally watering or looking red. She has eye drops every few months.

Why do you think she won't survive a GA?

Sorry about the lack of bunny savvy vets, makes things so much more difficult :( Whereabouts are you? xx

Frome. Our vets are alright but one did dismiss her eye issues as an allergy - in only one eye. :( the lady vet we see is usually ok. I'm feeling less grumpy today an will call the shepton mallet one the rwaf recommended.

Thank you all for replying. The good vet said her head is too small for surgery on her teeth. She is a very small bunny and I worry that she wouldn't do well with lots of dental blurring which I think they will say is te next step :( she had elongated tooth roots and gets recurrent infections from the blocked tear duct. They flushed it twice last year but then couldn't get the thing in to do it the last time so we opted to not try again.
It in a way is comforting to know other rabbits have regular dentals without issue.
I just felt very frustrated that she had been doing ok for a fair while with less infections and only a minor one recently and then this one that won't shift. We are going back to the vets tomorrow so I will moan at them and see if they can recommend anything different.

You could also ask to be referred to Richard (can never remember his last name) if you're a member of RWAF I believe. I'm sure you'd feel a lot better about any possible surgeries if you knew the vet was extremely rabbit savvy

Sorry I can't help with advise but fingers crossed for your little girl. It's horrid when you don't have a trustworthy vet so I really sympathise. I now use an excellent bunny vet but they're about an hour away from me :shock: I used to also have a 1.5 hour drive to my nearest reptile savvy vet too until one opened in the next town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I can't help with advise but fingers crossed for your little girl. It's horrid when you don't have a trustworthy vet so I really sympathise. I now use an excellent bunny vet but they're about an hour away from me :shock: I used to also have a 1.5 hour drive to my nearest reptile savvy vet too until one opened in the next town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I was just spoilt having such a good vet so close before. She seems loads better today! They are such a worry for such tiny hairy creatures!!

You could also ask to be referred to Richard (can never remember his last name) if you're a member of RWAF I believe. I'm sure you'd feel a lot better about any possible surgeries if you knew the vet was extremely rabbit savvy

That's a good idea! I will ask tomorrow!!

Small bunnies are more prone to dentals (generally) and so I can't see why the size would be a problem. There's always a risk with a GA, but if your vet is unsure about putting her under then I really think you need to see a different vet. If one is 40 mins away, it might be worth using them for more "serious" health problems, or asking your vet to refer you.

Have you tried ringing around all the vets in the area? There were no vets in my area so I just rang round them all and asked various questions. I then asked some of my friends which vets they use and finally managed to find a decent, fairly priced vet. They are 20 mins away from me, though.

Sorry to hear that Iggy is not recovering as you'd hoped :(

Where abouts are you? Maybe if you post up an urgent thread, hopefully more people will reply x

Back