• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What happened to his face? (photos)

Martin12

New Kit
Can someone please at least give a hint what could have happened to my bunny's face. He didn't have such a small eye before. His behaviour is normal, nothing has changed.

1910267_736401066405573_850889185574706110_n.jpg

10404512_736401036405576_607933740988698926_n.jpg

10527322_736401146405565_8153388765404914833_n.jpg

Can you get to the out of hours vet?

This.

If you can, get there as soon as possible. It looks like his mouth may also have been affected and as I'm sure you'll know, rabbits not eating are a very serious problem.

Vets immediately. I'm not sure what it is but it's serious.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What others have said..Get go VETS URGENTLY,!

good luck..and keep us posted as something definitely isnt right there

Fee xxxx

It looks like he may have something in his eye. If nothing has changed, as you say, and he is eating, then my bet would be his eye; looks like he's squinting and that would affect his mouth shape I should imagine.

I also would contact the vet I think.

Good luck.

Oh wow, I have never seen anything like that before unless it was the result of an ongoing condition. My bunny Nena has a squinty eye along with a droopy mouth due to nerve damage from an operation. It's been diagnosed as Horner's syndrome.

I too would definitely be down the emergency vets asap - definitely tonight. Bunnies hide pain very well so although bunny may be acting normally, they may be in a lot of pain.

Looks like Atrophy of muscle following nerve damage probably due to either deep inner ear infection or acute attack EC - although there could be other reasons such as trauma or something else interfering with nerve - but inner ear and EC are most common.

The episode/infection paralysis the nerve and over the following days/weeks the muscle atrophies and pulls 'up' giving the typical lopsided face.

I would expect a vet to check deep into ear and assess eye for ulcers, probably do an EC titre test and give something like meloxivet, panacur, and a suitable abx (after taking a swab of any pus) as well as eye drops.

Back