• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with worming please !

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
Hi there, I'm a first time poster, and could really do with some advice from you "experts" out there.
My vets said I should have wormed my 2 14 month old bunnies by now, and gave me a tube of Panacur for each of them.
I've just opened a packet and had a trial squirt on to my hand, to make I sure I give them the right amount. I only pushed the plunger gently, but a whole load squirted out to my hand. Now I'm really scared of trying this on my bunnies, I don't want to overdose them ! Any help or advise would be really appreciated.
I've read a few comments from other users, saying that they don't routinely worm their buns, so I don't know what to do for the best.
My 2 are indoors at night in their shed, but out during the day on the lawn or patio.
Thanks for reading this :)

There is no evidence to suggest that routine worming of rabbits does anything. Some people do, some people don't. I don't bother since I've heard many people who routinely worm there buns end up with them getting E.C anyway. It's only useful as a treatment to E.C rather than a preventative.

Yes I've read that from a few folks, I think I'll leave well alone for now. They both seem very happy healthy buns, I hate giving drugs to animals unless it's absolutely necessary.
Thanks for your reply, I think I put my post in the wrong section, will do better next time ! :lol:

Yes I've read that from a few folks, I think I'll leave well alone for now. They both seem very happy healthy buns, I hate giving drugs to animals unless it's absolutely necessary.
Thanks for your reply, I think I put my post in the wrong section, will do better next time ! :lol:

Ah yes, the mods will move it if they need to. :thumb:

I don't routinely give Panacur but my vets (rabbit savvy) have encouraged me to give a 9 day course to a newly acquired bunny, or to give a dose before bonding. I've always put the dose on food that I know they will eat, which would get by the problem of overdosing.

I must admit, though I've been prescribed Panacur for the last three bunnies I've acquired (over time since September) I haven't got on with giving Panacur yet as the verdict for whether there is any benefit is "it won't do any harm" rather than "it is essential"!! I do mean to give it on that basis though, I just haven't done it yet:oops:

Back