• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help, smelly rabbits (not mine!)

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
A few months back I posted about my stepson being bought two rabbits by his mum..... To cut an extremely long story short, these two rabbits have come to stay with me, allegedly temporarily. They need neutered ASAP, vaccinating and separating & rebounding once the hormones have gone as one is bullying the other. I really could have done without the extra stress & expense right now, but I felt sorry for the innocent bunnies.

What I didn't reckon on, was the smell. They really really stink! They've come to me and gone in a clean cage with fresh bedding, so it's not that. I know you're not supposed to bath rabbits so anyone got any suggestions how to make them smell better? They're stinking my whole house out and as my OH is also allergic to rabbits, he's struggling to breathe. Mine are upstairs in their own room with the door closed which helped him until these two arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:wave: un neutered males cages stink :shock::lol: the bun I am looking after for my friend whilst they are on holiday, he is an outside bun and his cage stinks too :shock: it's his wee that is smelly not him, he doesn't smell when I am snuggling him :love:

Yep, un-neutered Bucks urine does smell. They need to be separated straight away as they will fight even if they haven't already. Have you checked them both for any injuries, especially to their genitals and/or their throat ?

I would definitely not bath them

Yes, we're getting a divider put in their cage so they can't get at each other & I'm ringing the vet tomorrow morning to get them booked in for neutering & vaccinations. They only arrived about 10pm on Friday night. I haven't been able to get near them yet as they're very skittish, but there are no visible injuries on them.

I definitely won't be bathing them - I know better than that thanks to you guys on here, was just wondering if there was a way to clean them without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nearer they are to each other the more they will spary urine so the worse they will smell

Do try to check their testicles today as another reason for a pungent smell is necrotic flesh. If either has a bite wound around his genitals it is very likely to be infected by now :cry: It'd make them pretty damn skittish too.

I sympathise, there is nothing quite like un-neutered bunny wee :shock: I have a neutered buck/un-spayed doe staying with me at the moment and her urine is very pungent too.

Back