• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E Cuniculi

Koo09

New Kit
Hello, I am just looking for some information. I am adopting a trio of rescue buns at the end of the month who are currently having 28 day treatment for E Cuniculi. I have done some research and it seems that this treatment should rid the parasite but have read other information to say that it is a life long condition. I just need to make sure that there will be no risk to my current indoor buns. The trio will be outdoor but will have free run of the same garden (at different times). The rescue know I have other buns so I'm sure they wouldn't agree to the adoption if there was a risk but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

The 28 day course of treatment (with Fenbendazole) does not 'cure' EC. EC is a protozoal parasite which sheds spores into the bloodstream before it (the parasite) is excreted in the urine. The parasite will have already been excreted by the time clinical symptoms present. The clinical symptoms are caused by the spores left circulating in the bloodstream that migrate to various body organs/structures, erupt and cause an inflammatory response. The inflammatory response causes cellular damage to the tissues of the body structures effected. This is usually, but not exclusively, the kidneys, the central nervous system and the lens of the eyes. Fenbendazole can help reduce the number of EC spores left circulating in the bloodstream hence reducing the risk of 'clinically active' EC. But a 28 day course of Fenbendazole cant 100% guarantee that the treated Rabbit (any Rabbit) will never develop 'active' EC.

Over 50% of Rabbits will test positive for exposure to EC. But in no way does that mean all will develop 'active' disease.

There is a very good article about EC here

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

It sounds as though the Rescue is simply administering a 28 day course of prophylactic Fenbendazole rather than to treat an active disease. With general good hygiene as would apply in any multi Rabbit setting I dont think the 3 Rescue Rabbits pose any more of a threat than any other Rabbits

Last edited:
Back