• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oldies - do you do anything special for yours?

Bunshine

Alpha Buck
My little bun is getting on, and though he's not ancient at 6, I'm wondering what I could be doing to keep him happy and in tip top health as he ages.

Do you do anything special for your older buns? :)

My little bun is getting on, and though he's not ancient at 6, I'm wondering what I could be doing to keep him happy and in tip top health as he ages.

Do you do anything special for your older buns? :)

My two are 7 and would be offended if anyone thought they were getting on.:lol:

Seriously, I don't think I do anything different - as much good quality hay as possible, variety of veg and forage, and an eggcupful of pellets each.

My Bugsy is 7...didn't realise he was that old till I went through my bunny file ( I keep every vet invoice :lol:) I don't do anything different at the moment. I've only just started to wonder whether he should be on an "old bunny" food, but haven't looked to see what the difference is. Hopefully I'll be getting a new, much younger wife for him next week which should put the spring back in his step. However he has always been a lazy bun!

My boy is 6+ - not sure how old exactly. I don't really do anything different, I wouldn't say he shows any signs of ageing.

As long as he looks healthy and is not overweight I would just keep doing the same as you have been. I have quite a few 6/7 yr olds and they look fine. Bobby is 8 with suspected osteoarthritis so he is on Metacam, Chestnut is 9 and is getting cataracts and his wifebun is 10. She doesn't seem to have anything wrong with her. They've been together for 8 years now, very happy.

I don't think I needed to do anything different for my buns until age related problems set in. My bridge bun had arthritis and needed daily metacam and then became disabled in her last few weeks of life and needed lots of tlc, cleaning making sure she was comfy and her vet bed changed a few times a day as she was incontinent. She was only 10 :cry:

Now my old boy storm has arthritis. He is on metacam and tramadol. He needs his bum fur keeping short as he can't clean himself properly. He occasionally needs a clean up. He is being monitored by our vet so I take him to be weighed and checked every 4 to 6 weeks. He has oxbow joint care hay tablets.

I try and give my buns lots of natural food such as herbs and forage and good quality hay

I'd wait for age related problems. My oldest was 8 and didn't have any age-related health problems at all - she looked and behaved exactly the same as she always had.

I started to give Iggy a few more pellets in the last year of his life. And I got him a soft bed which he didn't like. I also used to have to lift him onto the sofa when he sat on my feet looking up! That's it really.

He wasn't really any different in his old age except he slept more and was slower because of his arthritis. His personality was still as silly and loving as he had always been. I think he slept more because of his medication though.

He only really started getting old in terms of his mobility at about 7/8 though. He was a large breed too. Perdy at 6/7 showed now signs of her age at all!

Last edited:
Back