• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice. Ideas to help Julie.

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
The area around Julie's skin stays wet. Fur is missing from this area and you can see red skin. The Vet worried that this might bother her and/or turn into a sore. He gave me Ascend to put on the area. Ascend is silver sulfadiazine cream. As soon as I put it on she started licking and licking like crazy. She would not stop for nothing. Distraction of treats is the only thing that worked but of course only until she ate the treat in all of 2 seconds.
I called the vet who said that the cream was perfectly safe even if she licked it all. The thing is she will continue to lick the area even when it looks like the cream is gone. It makes a real good barrier on the skin which seems to be hard for her to get off? He said to try her without the cream to see if she still licked the area excessive. I thought that she was at first but way way later she isn't licking it hardly at all. I think that the cream must be all off now.
He also said to try a pad and bandage on it so she couldn't lick the cream.
Well it didn't take her long to get the pad with the cream out of the bandage. She didn't seem to care that the bandage was on once the pad with the cream was off. She didn't seem to eat the pads just throw them away from her.
Vet says the cream won't sting or hurt, shouldn't taste yummy or shouldn't have a smell ( it has no smell to humans).
Any idea's why she is doing this or how I can use the cream without her licking it off. This is the cream seems to really work great. She is only pink and looks great when I use the cream. I used the cream on a red spot on her bottom area and it looks perfect. Oh she didn't seem to mind it but she can't reach down there.

Any ideas? Please any brain storming at all will be appreciated.

If she doesn't chew pads etc could you try laying her on the absorbent pad things that are used for incontinence patients that wick fluid away. A bit like the way nappies work to keep babies dry. The things I mean are used in beds, on chairs etc and are around 2 ft square upwards.

Something like that may reduce the wetness in her fur. Just a thought Xx

I think you're thinking of Inco-sheets/Conti-sheets Rabcat, they might work quite well, what about puppy training pads?

Let me have a think.

If she doesn't chew pads etc could you try laying her on the absorbent pad things that are used for incontinence patients that wick fluid away. A bit like the way nappies work to keep babies dry. The things I mean are used in beds, on chairs etc and are around 2 ft square upwards.

Something like that may reduce the wetness in her fur. Just a thought Xx

She is on a vet bed which works for her behind area but she keeps moving her head into the plastic hay box or onto the floor or her blanket. I keep moving her back but she moves. That is great idea though if she would stay.
I wonder if I could wrap something like that around her neck without the cream if she would mind.

Could she now have become allergic to silver sulfadiazine ? It has happened to me and if I use it now my skin immediately burns and itches. I never used to have any problem using it.

Could she now have become allergic to silver sulfadiazine ? It has happened to me and if I use it now my skin immediately burns and itches. I never used to have any problem using it.

Well. ....I never thought of her being allergic to it. This is the first time that I have used it on her. The vet gave it to me for her. Did your skin look red or irritated when you put it on you as well as itching and burning you? I put it on her bum back side area. She can not reach back there but never reacted in anyway to it. He said to put it anywhere she has missing fur and the skin exposed. Her skin looks better not irritated from it.
Wonder she is allergic to the silver sulfadiazine. She does act like she hates it on her.
I was putting Neosporin on any exposed skin and she never licked that. The vet just said that this was better. I'll have watch her very carefully if I put it on a spot that she can't reach.

I think you're thinking of Inco-sheets/Conti-sheets Rabcat, they might work quite well, what about puppy training pads?

Let me have a think.

I am not sure what Inco sheets are but she does chew the puppy pads sometimes so I only use them under the vet bed. She doesn't seem to like her head on the vet bed though. All day she has been lying with her face on a pillow if I move her she went right back. She licks the pillow until it is wet so she is then lying in wet. I started just moving and flipping the pillow so she would be in a dry spot. It is hot outside but cool inside with the central air.
She has always been a big time licker. She licks me like crazy and her stuffed rabbit.

Please give Julie a gentle hug from Auntie Di. xxxxx She is such a fighter and her strength and determination always gives me a lift.:love::love::love:

Julie is actually doing great. She has been doing her happy grunt.She kept me up last night grunting and licking my head and face most of the night. She has been sleeping on the loveseat that I moved to the foot of our bed. .she sleeps on a dog bed that brings her up to the level on our bed. I have been sleeping down that end in case she chokes. I woke up all itchy the other night. Our bed on both my and OH side was covered in hay.
I figured out that she seems to think the cream is something messy that she needs to lick clean off. She is okay with it if I just put a tiny bit on and rub it in really good. She is staying drier also. Her new pillow that she loves is absorbent. She has a thing for pillows.

Hmmm.... it sounds like Madam just wanted some new sleeping arrangements! :D Now you've gotten her a nice fluffy pillow so she must be thrilled that her tactics have worked to perfection! ;) :lol:

Just kidding. ;) I can very much relate to the trying to keep them from licking off helpful creams and ointments, it drives me nuts! I was going to suggest maybe just fleece blanket scraps or something that catches moisture and is nice and soft and easy to launder. If you've had success with Neosporin I'd just keep using that or maybe even the ointment I use on Fiver's hocks, it's called HealX. Comes in a dark blue tube. My vet keeps it stocked.

Oooh...I also get these wee towels that are used for yoga, they're called Rat Towels...you can get them at Amazon...VERY absorbent, lots of different sizes.
http://www.amazon.com/YogaRat-Charc...UTF8&qid=1404684154&sr=8-3&keywords=rat+towel
Jenna gets malassezia easily so I have to keep her feet and bum as dry and clean a possible after her post walk rinsing. These things work better than any towel I've seen at wicking moisture away, if that's the problem.

Isn't the silver sulfadine like diaper rash cream? That stuff is heavy and kinda gross. I don't blame her for wanting to lick it off. :(
Sending the lovely Julie lots of head rubs and nose bonks. xxxxxxxx :)

Hmmm.... it sounds like Madam just wanted some new sleeping arrangements! :D Now you've gotten her a nice fluffy pillow so she must be thrilled that her tactics have worked to perfection! ;) :lol:

Just kidding. ;) I can very much relate to the trying to keep them from licking off helpful creams and ointments, it drives me nuts! I was going to suggest maybe just fleece blanket scraps or something that catches moisture and is nice and soft and easy to launder. If you've had success with Neosporin I'd just keep using that or maybe even the ointment I use on Fiver's hocks, it's called HealX. Comes in a dark blue tube. My vet keeps it stocked.

Oooh...I also get these wee towels that are used for yoga, they're called Rat Towels...you can get them at Amazon...VERY absorbent, lots of different sizes.
http://www.amazon.com/YogaRat-Charc...UTF8&qid=1404684154&sr=8-3&keywords=rat+towel
Jenna gets malassezia easily so I have to keep her feet and bum as dry and clean a possible after her post walk rinsing. These things work better than any towel I've seen at wicking moisture away, if that's the problem.

Isn't the silver sulfadine like diaper rash cream? That stuff is heavy and kinda gross. I don't blame her for wanting to lick it off. :(
Sending the lovely Julie lots of head rubs and nose bonks. xxxxxxxx :)

Yes, it us a very heavy thick cream.The vet said that is provided a better barrier than diaper rash cream.This is the reason he fave it to me.He is worried about her getting bedsore there as she always lies on that side of her face.Julie hates lying on her other side and flops violently until she flips back. I think a better solution is to just keep her dry. She is really messy when she eats her critical care as she drives into it.She loves it and isn't patient.
The yoga rat towels sounds perfect to use ss a bib and fir her to rest her head. Thsnks.I have never heard if those. I will check into them.

Back