• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on rabbit shows?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I used to think that I would love to go to a rabbit show and see the most lovely examples of different breeds. But after much thought I decided that I don't think I would want to promote it, this is just based on what I have seen and I haven't spoken to or met anyone who goes to them.

I tend to think that anything that is for OUR benefit and not the animals isn't great...for example...

Grooming:Beneficial to the rabbit and generally enjoyable for us...
Nail Clipping: Beneficial to the rabbit and enjoyable as we know we are caring for them...
Having the rabbit free ranging in the living room: Beneficial to the rabbits and enjoyable to us.

Leads/Harnessed: ''Enjoyable to us'' yet NOT beneficial to the rabbit...

I don't think that any rabbit would enjoy being taken and put in a small cage to be gawked at and handled by strangers and put in a large room with lots of people/noise...

Those are my thought anyway? Or am I just generalizing?

Oh and also I think its wrong to encourage breeding just to try and get the most ''beautiful'' bunny...

Last edited:
I used to think it would be cute to go to one but I agree with you now.

I think it must be highly stressful for the bunnies and also there's a risk of disease spreading.

Sayng that, my bridge bun Harry was so laid back I doubt he'd have minded.

I feel exactly the same!

Its strange because its difficult to arrange something where people can''show off'' their bunnies as its such a stressful thing for them.

I would love to think that I could show my boys off as I think they are beautiful but I would never take them to a show just because I know its not the best thing for them. It would be for me.

People have told me about shows nearby before and when I say I don't want to go they are surprised. Until I explain why..

I could not go to one. I think they are a hugely stressful environment and not enjoyable for the rabbits. Whereas say dogs would enjoy the occasion of seeing other dogs at a dog show etc. My sister shows her dog, and if he doesn't want to do it she doesn't make him, whereas bunnies wouldn't necessarily be able to make that choice.

I panic that a vet trip trip may spark of stasis with my bunnies so there is no way on earth I would risk taking them to a show! My laid back bridge bun Chester had to come to my old work for a short while once and he was stressed at the situation, there is no way even he could cope with going to a show.

I could not go to one. I think they are a hugely stressful environment and not enjoyable for the rabbits. Whereas say dogs would enjoy the occasion of seeing other dogs at a dog show etc. My sister shows her dog, and if he doesn't want to do it she doesn't make him, whereas bunnies wouldn't necessarily be able to make that choice.

I panic that a vet trip trip may spark of stasis with my bunnies so there is no way on earth I would risk taking them to a show! My laid back bridge bun Chester had to come to my old work for a short while once and he was stressed at the situation, there is no way even he could cope with going to a show.

I agree, we worry so much about the stress on these animals and its just no good for them at all to be at these shows...

I mean, I wonder how much these people know about the animals they are showing? I mean they must know quite a bit but are they even aware of the stress it causes a rabbit to be in a noisy environment in a tiny, enclosed space?

It just makes me think of the selfishness of the human race really. We will show these animals even though it is the least possible thing they want to be doing right now...

I've seen one. One of the dog agility shows I went to had a small animal showing bit too. All just piled in to a tent in small cages in a noisy area.

Wouldn't go in, wouldn't ever dream of showing a rabbit.

I would say rabbits are the most unsuitable animal I can think of for "showing" but then my opinion of breeding for looks is pretty low to begin with.

Mine have never been to a show, however, a photo of them on my phone won first prize at a recent rescue event I was providing first aid cover on!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I used to go to the Cleveland Show every year. They have tents with all different animals in. One for Rabbits and piggies, one for birds (pigeons, doves, etc), one for rats and mice, one for cats, and they had pens for sheep and cattle etc and horse shows.

The tents were HORRENDOUS. Absolutely boiling hot and thousands of people cramming into them. The animals were all over heated and very, very stressed. :cry: It's a horrible place and I wish the show would stop showing live animals.

I wouldnt go to a bunny showing, but did consider the bunny jumping competition shows. Although im not sure if they are considered mean to the rabbits, being in a unfamiliar room, new smells, other bunnies etc.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

I used to go to the Cleveland Show every year. They have tents with all different animals in. One for Rabbits and piggies, one for birds (pigeons, doves, etc), one for rats and mice, one for cats, and they had pens for sheep and cattle etc and horse shows.

The tents were HORRENDOUS. Absolutely boiling hot and thousands of people cramming into them. The animals were all over heated and very, very stressed. :cry: It's a horrible place and I wish the show would stop showing live animals.

Gosh it sounds awful. :( I don't think I could cope with it without telling someone off. Surely people have known before that it isn't suitable to show rabbits?

Should be a petition to ban them. But yet again because its ''just rabbits'' there aren't many who care enough to do anything about it...Sad really..

I saw some rabbits on show in Otley earlier this year. It was as Vegan Bunny described - big tent for the 'small animals' and crates stacked high with bunnies.

I would say some of them didn't appear fussed at all - just flopped down and chilled out. But quite a lot of them were visibly stressed - not settled, breathing too fast - hard to describe but easy to see.

I've been to one when I first got buns (To look, Not to show mine). In fairness the bunnies all looked very healthy and the judges were very careful when handling the rabbits but it just didn't sit right with me. The enclosures are small and though I realise its a short period of time, there is so much hussle and bustle not to mention the car journey there I imagine alot of bunnies will find it unsettling.

I agree, although I have never been to one, I have no intention of ever going to one, to either look or show an animal. I think it must be one of the most stressful things to put a bunny through. I also am anti-breeding of any animal to get the "best looking" or to try to enhance certain features which are detrimental to the animal.

I agree, although I have never been to one, I have no intention of ever going to one, to either look or show an animal. I think it must be one of the most stressful things to put a bunny through. I also am anti-breeding of any animal to get the "best looking" or to try to enhance certain features which are detrimental to the animal.

I have read some of the requirements of some of the breeds and personally think its just silly! Why is any rabbit better than another because one has perfect colouring or a perfect arch to its back or the right shape ears? Sillyness I say!

I've heard that black bunnies are hard to rehome because of their colour but I really love them! :?

I have read some of the requirements of some of the breeds and personally think its just silly! Why is any rabbit better than another because one has perfect colouring or a perfect arch to its back or the right shape ears? Sillyness I say!

I've heard that black bunnies are hard to rehome because of their colour but I really love them! :?

Have you seen photos of my beautiful black boy, Bobbie? No-one wanted him because of his colour (and size). He's absolutely gorgeous and such a softie.

Have you seen photos of my beautiful black boy, Bobbie? No-one wanted him because of his colour (and size). He's absolutely gorgeous and such a softie.

I haven't but I'd love to see one! Id love a big black conti one day but i'll see to these two having a great life first!

Standard agouties are also harder to rehome apparently...don't know why ...surely if someone loves bunnies enough to rehome one or even better, a pair....then colour & size shouldn't matter. Though I can understand someone being reluctant to rehome an angora. The one I saw last week looked like a rug on legs, and would need a very dedicated owner with time to groom everyday.

Back