• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

harness the bunny!!

took Arwen out for a little bit today on the harness. bottom part is a thin chain cos she is savage and will break it and attack everyone! Maybe she will need a muzzle as well (or its just cos she bites through it :p )

DSCF6302_zps6c432594.jpg

DSCF6304_zps1db13fa3.jpg

DSCF6298_zps79a4f5eb.jpg

She is gorgeous!

Harnesses can be very dangerous for rabbits, especially a chain lead. They spook so easily and, if the chain got wrapped around a leg, the results would be dreadful.

It is lovely that you are taking her out and trying to give her the exercise that she needs! But like the others I would advise against harnesses. :thumb:

To me they are created for our benefit not the animals....and rabbits to me are SO not made for a lead/harness likes dogs are...I know at least one of my two would be extremely unhappy about the prospect of going on a lead..(i.e Master Finnlay)

You are much better off just letting the bunny run around in a safe, large, enclosed space.

Arwen is lovely but harnesses on rabbits, apart from being un-natural, can be very dangerous - as I know from an experience I had many years ago, before I knew any better. I would strongly advise against using it.

Also you say the underside of the harness is a thin chain which I'm imagining could do a lot of damage and cause pain to a rabbit (wouldn't even put a harness that was a chain on my dog) And by the sounds of it she does struggle to try and get out if the harness which firstly might suggest that it is hurting her and secondly will hurt her more as she struggles :( There was recently a story on here where a rabbit had got its leg out then the harness was so tight and couldn't be removed that the rabbit almost suffocated to death :( I really hope you will take these comments as good, experienced advice and not as people getting at you. Your rabbit is lovely and people here just want the best for bunnies, as I'm sure you do for yours :D What is her set up like? If she is aggressive it might be worth investing in a runaround system or similar where she can securely run around and have access to outdoors without needing to be handled. The housing thread has loads of inspiration :thumb: Also just to add, is she neutered? If she's showing aggression and she's not neutered this would likely make things a whole lot better! My aggressive female was a different rabbit after she was spayed :D

Don't agree with harnesses either, but we live and learn what is for the best! We've all made mistakes where our buns are concerned!
Also you say the underside of the harness is a thin chain which I'm imagining could do a lot of damage and cause pain to a rabbit (wouldn't even put a harness that was a chain on my dog) And by the sounds of it she does struggle to try and get out if the harness which firstly might suggest that it is hurting her and secondly will hurt her more as she struggles :( There was recently a story on here where a rabbit had got its leg out then the harness was so tight and couldn't be removed that the rabbit almost suffocated to death :( I really hope you will take these comments as good, experienced advice and not as people getting at you. Your rabbit is lovely and people here just want the best for bunnies, as I'm sure you do for yours :D What is her set up like? If she is aggressive it might be worth investing in a runaround system or similar where she can securely run around and have access to outdoors without needing to be handled. The housing thread has loads of inspiration :thumb: Also just to add, is she neutered? If she's showing aggression and she's not neutered this would likely make things a whole lot better! My aggressive female was a different rabbit after she was spayed :D
I interpreted the OP completely differently.

Isn't the chain the part we can see? And I thought OP was saying she's savage as a joke, and that the chain part of the "lead" is to stop bun from chewing through it?

Don't agree with harnesses either, but we live and learn what is for the best! We've all made mistakes where our buns are concerned!

I interpreted the OP completely differently.

Isn't the chain the part we can see? And I thought OP was saying she's savage as a joke, and that the chain part of the "lead" is to stop bun from chewing through it?

You might be right and if so I apologise (and feel a bit silly :oops:) but I did think the same as u but didn't understand why it says 'the bottom part is a thin chain' bottom part of what? The pic then I presume?! Oh I don't know my brain is mushed :lol: I think you're prob right, silly me... I have a lot on my mind at the moment! :oops:

You might be right and if so I apologise (and feel a bit silly :oops:) but I did think the same as u but didn't understand why it says 'the bottom part is a thin chain' bottom part of what? The pic then I presume?! Oh I don't know my brain is mushed :lol: I think you're prob right, silly me... I have a lot on my mind at the moment! :oops:

I just assumed the bottom of the lead as that's what I could see, can't imagine a chain harness, especially for a bun :shock: :shock: so I hope that is what was meant!!

Hope you're doing ok, and that your brain keeps at a certain level of solidity, you have beautiful buns who would take advantage of a mushy brain ;)

I just assumed the bottom of the lead as that's what I could see, can't imagine a chain harness, especially for a bun :shock: :shock: so I hope that is what was meant!!

Hope you're doing ok, and that your brain keeps at a certain level of solidity, you have beautiful buns who would take advantage of a mushy brain ;)

Haha I'm sure they will, planned a good grooming and nail trimming session today but not sure I'm in the right frame of mind so they'll be pleased they've escaped that... Til tomorrow :lol: I'm ok just job hunting at the min and always seems like a million and one things decide to pile up on you when just one stress at a time would be adequate :roll: Nothing major I shouldn't complain really, nice of u to ask :wave:

Haha I'm sure they will, planned a good grooming and nail trimming session today but not sure I'm in the right frame of mind so they'll be pleased they've escaped that... Til tomorrow :lol: I'm ok just job hunting at the min and always seems like a million and one things decide to pile up on you when just one stress at a time would be adequate :roll: Nothing major I shouldn't complain really, nice of u to ask :wave:

I'm sure they'll think that the routine "pamper" session has been forgotten about, you'll soon give them a shock ;)!
Oh I know that feeling, I had a stress day yesterday, so I'm making up for it with a lazy day today :).

Hope the job hunt goes well and that you feel more relaxed soon :thumb: :wave:

It's OK Summer&Skye...I have a mushy brain all the time now cos of the drugs I'm on (legal ones of course :roll:) but I did read it as you did, thinking the chain was under the chest.

I also have to say that when I was very much younger ( about 20 years ago) I did try a harness on my bun at the time and he went absolutly mental and panicked so much that I could hardly keep him still enough to get the thing off. It was the most scariest thing I'd ever seen. After that I have never tried a harness on even my most placid & laid back buns.

Beautiful bun :love::love::love:

yea I was saying savage as a joke lol she is a very sweet thing really! (and she is spayed too) the harness is fabric not chain, just the end of the lead is a chain (is a light one) as she sometimes nibbles it and she can bite through it. Funnily she seems happier on the harness... when I used a big outdoor pen she would spook and run over then just sit scared in a corner. I tried the harness and she seemed much happier even to the point of running over if she sees me get it out (she has free range in the living room in day time)! She then sits there quietly while I put it on and seems excited (I dont walk her, just let her go where she wants and have the lead so she cant vanish anywhere - im there the whole time) Prob just have to keep her inside then as she hates the outdoor pen. God knows why! Is there any other way I can take her outdoors? Or any safer harness type? She does seem to enjoy it but naturally I dont want her in danger!

Last edited:
yea I was saying savage as a joke lol she is a very sweet thing really! (and she is spayed too) the harness is fabric not chain, just the end of the lead is a chain (is a light one) as she sometimes nibbles it and she can bite through it. Funnily she seems happier on the harness... when I used a big outdoor pen she would spook and run over then just sit scared in a corner. I tried the harness and she seemed much happier even to the point of running over if she sees me get it out! She then sits there quietly while I put it on and seems exited (I dont walk her, just let her go where she wants and have the lead so she cant vanish anywhere - im there the whole time) Prob just have to keep her inside then as she hates the outdoor pen. God knows why! Is there any other way I can take her outdoors? Or any safer harness type? She does seem to enjoy it but naturally I dont want her in danger!

There's not anything wrong with harnesses as long as the rabbit doesn't mind, you can continue using it:wave:

I use a harness for mine. In fact I've used harnesses on and off on more than a dozen rabbits in my life and never have had one that freaked out, I guess mine have all been laid back or something.

What sort of run are you using outside? Does she have a little house she can go into so she feels safe?

She is so gorgeous :love:

Every bun is different and I don't see the problem of using a harness in a safe environment such as a garden for example rabbit jumping, as long as the bunny is fairly comfortable and the harness is quick release etc..& obviously the bunnies should get run + free range time as well :thumb:

yea I was saying savage as a joke lol she is a very sweet thing really! (and she is spayed too) the harness is fabric not chain, just the end of the lead is a chain (is a light one) as she sometimes nibbles it and she can bite through it. Funnily she seems happier on the harness... when I used a big outdoor pen she would spook and run over then just sit scared in a corner. I tried the harness and she seemed much happier even to the point of running over if she sees me get it out (she has free range in the living room in day time)! She then sits there quietly while I put it on and seems excited (I dont walk her, just let her go where she wants and have the lead so she cant vanish anywhere - im there the whole time) Prob just have to keep her inside then as she hates the outdoor pen. God knows why! Is there any other way I can take her outdoors? Or any safer harness type? She does seem to enjoy it but naturally I dont want her in danger!

My apologies :oops: :lol:

that sounds fine to me, i would personally still let her out on a harness :) as babsie asked though have you got anything for her to hide in the run?

yea she had a big cat box type thing, two wooden tunnels and a plastic hide. but she still didnt like it. She has all the indoors in daytime to run in (shes a house bun) and binkies like mad. Outside she just wants to eat :lol:

I only take her in the garden and I have been using the fabric only as she has stopped nibbling at it. :p

Back