• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buddies Bunny Rescue to close :(

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
This is so sad. The rescue situation is already dire here and they only alternative is the SSPCA and they don't neuter or vaccs.

Dear Buddies supporters & followers, it is with sadness that we announce that as of the end of July, Buddies Bunny Rescue will no longer be running. In the 3 years Buddies has been going, we have taken in & re homed hundreds of rabbits but the rescue has now come to a natural end. The running of our charity takes up huge amounts of time & work. We are all getting on with different things in our lives now & so unfortunately we had to make the decision to close our doors.

We still have around 40 rabbits looking for homes - males, females & pairs - so if you are interested in re homing then please fill in an adoption form on our website (please ensure you include your email address), however rabbits need to be homed & collected before the end of this month.

We would like to thank everyone who has supported us, donated funds, donated hay, food & toys, homed rabbits from us, come to awareness days & evening lectures, volunteered at our shelter or helped at events, raised money for our bunnies, the fantastic team at the Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund, our wonderful vet team at the Royal **** Vet, & also our Committee who have been so dedicated over the last 3 years.

Although we won't be running after July, we will keep our Facebook page going for now.

Once again, a massive thank you to everyone & we hope all our bunnies now living in their forever loving homes, live long & happy binkying lives.

Best wishes, Emma, Louise & Natalie

Oh gosh that is a blow :cry: But I can understand that there has to come a time when a person/people feel unable to continue doing Rescue. I would imagine that it could easily take over your life and that could be detrimental to the rest of your family. Especially if you have children.

Oh gosh that is a blow :cry: But I can understand that there has to come a time when a person/people feel unable to continue doing Rescue. I would imagine that it could easily take over your life and that could be detrimental to the rest of your family. Especially if you have children.

Me too its just so sad. They are the only decent rabbit rescue and in fact the only rabbit rescue I know of near Edinburgh. Now we shall have to rely on the SSPCA who are similar to the RSPCA in their standards. As far as I know the rescuers don't have children but funds have been dwindling. There was a skydive done recently which did not raise as much as expected and in fact we never heard anymore about it after it happened. And they have been inundated with bunnies this year and had to close their doors to newcomers. The pressure must be enormous. I wonder what they will do their their branded van and all the super bunny enclosures.

Another blow to rabbit welfare in Scotland.:(

There will be enormous pressure on Fairly Beloved now as the only independent rabbit rescue in Scotland (that I'm aware of).

Another blow to rabbit welfare in Scotland.:(

There will be enormous pressure on Fairly Beloved now as the only independent rabbit rescue in Scotland (that I'm aware of).

Yep, that is exactly what it is, a big blow. And the pressure will be enormous. Buddies took on rabbits from Fife Rescue and Paws Here when they closed down. But now they want to rehome their 40 odd rabbits by the end of July and I can't see that happening tbh. I wonder if Fairly Beloved will step in.

Just seen this comment, so I think the situation is actually worse than previously thought. I assumed they owned the cottage and land but now I am guessing not. That is really bad if even the permanent residents have to go. All the people who ran it were so pro bunny so I am struggling to understand their decision :(

Thanks everyone, your kind words make what is a difficult time a bit brighter. ALL buns are now available for homing, even the sanctuary side - what we ideally want for them is to be kept in their groups, of around 5 each. Our website is no longer being updated but we will try to get pics of all the current bunnies on here this weekend. We would love everyone's help to share this status and for everyone to know we are needing wonderful homes, any homes across the UK will now be considered. Thanks so much again to you all!

This is so upsetting. I used to foster for them a couple of years ago and know that the decision definitely won't have been taken lightly. I expect there will have been a lot of tears shed of it :(.

There isn't another dedicated rabbit rescue on this side of Scotland that I know of. It's a worry what will happen to the buns needing homes now :(

This is so upsetting. I used to foster for them a couple of years ago and know that the decision definitely won't have been taken lightly. I expect there will have been a lot of tears shed of it :(.

There isn't another dedicated rabbit rescue on this side of Scotland that I know of. It's a worry what will happen to the buns needing homes now :(

It is devastating :( I have three Buddies bunnies and wish I could take on more but we don't have the space anymore.

Saw this on their FB this morning, very sad news. Buddies do such an amazing job, not just for the rabbits that pass through their care but for so many others with the hard work they do to raise awareness. :(

I have been selfish speculating about why it is happening but I know why and I completely understand. Buddies are the best rabbit rescue near Edinburgh and they really set the bar for quality care and rehoming standards. They will be sorely missed. I have been talking with my family and we think we can help out by adopting a bunny or two for our eldest male who is lonely now his friends have passed away. We just have to hope he will meet somebun he likes and then we will have been privileged to help Buddies once more.

:(... Oh No....... i am gutted..

They have been especially helpful to me, My wee Smudge is a Buddies Bunny..

The girls, especially Nats enthusiasm has been astounding, I just dont know where she got her energy from...?

Poor wee bunnies i hope they do get their forever homes before the door finally closes.

Gutted...

I think its only Fairly Beloved now and they are usually full..as they are the only one in the West of Scotland...

Terrible news but i'd like to wish the girls all the best...
Fee xxxxx

I wonder what they will do their their branded van and all the super bunny enclosures.

Since they are a registered charity I believe they are legally required to transfer their net assets (ie after paying down any debts and similar) to another charity in the same or a closely allied field. In other words, to another rabbit rescue; failing that to another rescue working with small animals. I don't know whether it would specifically need to be a Scottish charity or whether the assets could be transferred to one south of the border, but it would definitely need to be a registered animal charity of some sort.

Am really sorry to hear this :( I assume most people running rescues do it in addition to their jobs and I often wonder how they manage to do it . I suppose there must come a time when you have to look after yourself or you could drown in hopelessness and despair and the worry of the ones you can't help :(

This is such sad news. :(
I'm glad to hear you're thinking of possibly bringing home a few, Fifibutton. :)
We could really use a place like this here in Alaska. But I understand it can be such a drain, emotionally and financially. We once thought of opening a rescue after Mimzy came to live with us, but after realizing the enormous responsibility and cost we knew we could not maintain it, especially with our winters.

I hope a suitable place or homes can be found for all the bunnies. It must be so devastating for all involved. :(

I have been selfish speculating about why it is happening but I know why and I completely understand. Buddies are the best rabbit rescue near Edinburgh and they really set the bar for quality care and rehoming standards. They will be sorely missed. I have been talking with my family and we think we can help out by adopting a bunny or two for our eldest male who is lonely now his friends have passed away. We just have to hope he will meet somebun he likes and then we will have been privileged to help Buddies once more.

I hope your bun meets someone he likes. I have reserved a pair. So excited about them.

Buddies not being there any more will be a huge loss to the Edinburgh area. Since they were always inundated with buns, and helped some with quite a lot of problems, I worry what will happen to the buns who will need help in the future.

Back