• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone go to the vet just for nail clipping?! -Found a better solution :)

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
I can't cope with doing Alice anymore :(
She seems to be getting more cantankerous by the day.
She will jump and scratch and bite and even squeek when try and do it she gets herself so upset.
Also she has arthritis in her spine and I'm terrified she will kick so much she will hurt herself.
Me and my vet can manage it between us I'm wondering if it's kinder to just take her there and get it over and done with, it's a 2 minute car journey and she is fine with the carrier.

Last edited:
I think it sounds as though it might be quicker and simpler to go to the vets with her, mine are on their very best behaviour at the vets, even allowing me to pick them up and snuggles without any struggling, but at home they are virtually wild :shock::lol:

My Mr Bubble gets his cut at the vet. When I last done it at home, he took what sounded like an asthma attack or something, and I was terrified he would stop breathing. Doesn't do that at the vet though.

I don't personally but have been told if you get a vet nurse to do it instead of a vet its cheaper.

I've never even tried doing it myself. My two hate it so much and struggle so much for the vet, I just know it would be hopeless! I feel sorry for the poor vet who gets to do it, they always mange to bite him :( :lol:

She may have arthritis in her toes aswell as her spine. So nail clipping could be painful for her.

It might help to time nail clipping so that you do it about an hour after her dose of Metacam. Assuming that she is on daily Metacam for her spinal arthritis ?

Yes I go to the vet for nail clipping and get a check up and weight check :)

Poor alice. And poor you, it must be stressful :(

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I have quite a few who would be too difficult for me to do on my own so have been to the Vets lots. It has been £5.00 for years but suddenly went up to £12! Anyway, the man who does jobs for me doesn't mind holding them which is much better.

Yep, I took Bella to the vets to get her nails cut the last time. For a while I was able to cut them while she was sitting on the floor but the minute she realised what I was doing she panicked, and I wasn't allowed to touch her feet at all after that :roll:

I always take Jemima to the vet to have her nails done she is just too strong and violently kicks which hurts both us and her

My OH is scared of her so is too much of a wuss to hold her properly!

As for cost, if she is having other things done I can sometimes get it done for free;)

at one vet it costs £8 (the last time I had it done)

at the rabbit savvy vet they are yet to charge me for it because there have always been other problems seen to at the time.

I personally don't because my rabbit is very good for me. But I know plenty of people that take theirs. It's often safer as vets know what to do if your bun is a bit scatty x

I don't personally but have been told if you get a vet nurse to do it instead of a vet its cheaper.

Some of them are a lot better than vets too. I ended up having a vet nurse clip Boris the hamster's nails in the end (with no trouble at all), after three vets had either refused to do it, or failed in their attempts!

I always take my pigs and buns to the vet for their nails clipped, the vet checks them over and weighs them at the same time to check for any problems. ;)

Just got back from the vets for my rabbit to have her nails clipped. The nurses there are brilliant with her so she is really calm and relaxed. I probably could do it myself but just thinking about it makes me a nervous wreck!

I normally do Fergs myself but he's quite easy to do, but if I've got a vets trip planned for when it's close to nail clip time I get them to do it and save me a job :)

Vet nurses are definitely normally cheaper and better at it :)

I wouldn't even think of doing Spenser nails myself. I doubt I would be left with many fingers! I am all admiration for those who manage to do their own buns, but there is no way I would try with Spenser.

Back