• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spreading painkiller doses?

Buntypops

Young Bun
Me again, another question to do with my bun on cage rest with the pelvic problem - please see the other thread for the info if you need, but my query is about the painkillers

She has been prescribed metacam 3.2ml a day

I'm debating whether it's best in one dose, maybe half in the morning and half in the evening or spread out even more? The vet said to give it in the morning which I have done but as of about 3 she's sat grunting and making what I assume are uncomfy noises (really odd grumbly/grunts every 10-20ish seconds), so would it be better spaced to combat this? I'd love to hear what others have done in similar situations - she will still be getting the same dose either way I would just really appreciate some input from people who have used painkillers in rabbits.

Thanks so much

Beth xxxx

I would also like to know whether this is best.

My vet told me to give ONE dose a day, I didn't think to ask whether this should be split morning/evening.

I assume because my vet said to give ONE dose then this is the best option. Don't know though :lol:

Rabbits have a faster clearance rate of Meloxicam (Metacam) than other species so once a day dosing may not give 24 hour analgesic cover. My Vet often prescribes 12 hourly dosing.

Do you really mean that you are giving 3.2ml a day ? What strength of Metacam do you have ?

Oops yes sorry it's 0.32 (never given metacam before I just know it's up to 3.2 on the syringe but it's a teeny one, my mistake! Don't worry I've not given her over that!) the strength is 1.5mg/ml

She is quite a small bun so I'm not sure if that's a high or low dose

She finally just settled for a quick nap then spent a minute eating her herb gnaw stick and some hay, now she's napping again so maybe she just had a bad half hour :? Xx

.32ml is a very small dose. The dose range is 0.3mg-0.6mg/kg/day. So with the strength Metacam you have that would equate to 0.2ml-0.4ml/kg/day.

Do you know how much your Rabbit weighs ? Could you call the Vet and ask if the dose can be increased ?

Yes she was underweight when we got her so we've been feeding her up, so I made sure to ask yesterday how her weight was - the vet said she's getting there! I glanced at the paper and it said about 1.36 kilos, it was a very precise number with loads of numbers on the end (you know like 1.36435 or something) so between 1.3 and 1.4 kg

I think I will try do half the dose in the morning tomorrow and half in the evening, if that seems to help then great but if not yes I will definitely call the vets, it's reassuring to know she can probably be given more if needed. I've used this in dogs before but rabbits are a whole new ball game for me!

Thanks so much xx

Yes she was underweight when we got her so we've been feeding her up, so I made sure to ask yesterday how her weight was - the vet said she's getting there! I glanced at the paper and it said about 1.36 kilos, it was a very precise number with loads of numbers on the end (you know like 1.36435 or something) so between 1.3 and 1.4 kg

I think I will try do half the dose in the morning tomorrow and half in the evening, if that seems to help then great but if not yes I will definitely call the vets, it's reassuring to know she can probably be given more if needed. I've used this in dogs before but rabbits are a whole new ball game for me!

Thanks so much xx

The maximum dose my Vet would give a 1.36kg Rabbit is 0.54ml. In some cases and for a limited time my Vet has prescribed the FULL maximum dose to be given every 12 hours

Here is a bit of info' about Rabbits and Meloxicam excretion rate

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23531074

I think I mentioned on your other thread about the possibility of your Vet prescribing an additional analgesia- Tramadol ? It's very useful for controlling bone pain and it does not appear to have such profound sedating effects that can occur with opiates such as Buprenorphine (AKA Vetergesic)

That's good to know that it can probably be upped, I'm going to talk to my vet tomorrow and see if it can be increased and if anything extra like the tramadol could be given

You've been such a help thank you!

Back