• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The New Zealand White.

luna

Mama Doe
Hi

I'm wondering are there any members who have experience with this breed. I would love to hear about them. Do they have problems with vision and if so does this lead to accidental hand nipping ? Just curious.

I hate that so many of these lovely buns end up in labs or on a plate. It really saddens me :(

The other day I had to report an ad on donedeals in the small furries section because the NZW 's were advertised as a meat breed. Luckily the ad was removed straight away.

Oh and are this breed smaller than some other giant breeds. Are they laid back ? can't wait to hear about them .Thanks :)

Pictures most welcome :) xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I have had four NZW's over the years - two of them would "scan" (side to side motion as though they were watching the tennis) but no problems otherwise. All were lovely gentle bunnies and one of my favourite breeds :love: :love:

I have only been bitten badly once and that was a cashmere lop!!

I have had two in the past and yes they are gentle :love:

We lost one of ours to problems with the pyloris. I think this is something NZW are prone to :?

I have had four NZW's over the years - two of them would "scan" (side to side motion as though they were watching the tennis) but no problems otherwise. All were lovely gentle bunnies and one of my favourite breeds :love: :love:

I have only been bitten badly once and that was a cashmere lop!!

Thanks for your reply Sarah. They sound like a beautiful breed. There are so many of them here in Ireland but they are not intended to be sold as pets. They are mainly bred for meat :( I wonder what kind of conditions they are kept in :/

I have had two in the past and yes they are gentle :love:

We lost one of ours to problems with the pyloris. I think this is something NZW are prone to :?

Thanks hugos there :) Iv never heard of pyloris.must look it up xx

I don't have a NZW but I do have a REW french lop who is blind, and he is not at all nippy :) (infact he is the most squishy bunny ever - I regularly have lay down floor cuddles with him and Skye :oops:)

I had 3 New Zealand Whites as a kid, they are probably my favourite breed. We had Snowy, Bouncer and Loppy Lugs (had a big tear in his ear from fighting)

We got them off my Grandad who had been given them and was suppose to be fatten them up for the stock pot. Fortunately he couldn't bring himself to kill them and we got them instead. :thumb:

We didn't have Bouncer and Loppy Lugs long but Snowy was quite old when he died. He was a lovely sweet natured gentle rabbit (although he didn't like to be picked up) and was a great escape artist. He would escape quite often, once we spent the entire morning searching for him (calling out his name like he would actually answer :roll:) and we found him at the local school after the caretaker had took him in.

Illness wise I can't tell you much as it was back in the 80's before we were aware that they are such complicated animals.

I can't remember any head scanning but as a REW they are more prone to it. Our Harry head scans and when we first noticed it we were quite taken back and so if one of our NZW had done it I think I would remember. Even though Harry isn't a REW or NWZ, she manages quite well as long as you don't move large items around too much.

My Daisy is a New Zealand White :love: she is awesome :love: she doesn't seem to have any problems with her sight at all. She's about 4 now i think. She is really funny and sweet, she doesn't nip hands but will give your leg a good nip if you're in her way :lol: she hates being picked up but adores being cuddled on the floor :love: i love my Daisy :love:

Back