• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving my bun to go on holiday

Mariann

New Kit
Hi everyone. A couple of days ago my parents booked a last minute family holiday to Greece for ten days. Thing is, I leave on Saturday and I have to leave my rabbit in the care of my dad. I already suffer from a lot of pre holiday anxiety and the thought of leaving him is making me feel a whole lot worse. I know my dad can care for him well in terms of cleaning out his hutch, letting him out to exercise and feeding him but he struggles to handle him. I'm the only one who can really pick him up so I'm terrified he's going to get flystrike or something when I'm gone since my dad can't check his bum properly :( any advice on what to do here? I'm going out my mind with worry to the point where I don't really want to go on holiday anymore.

could you teach him some techniques for checking? I tend to feed mine and then as they're taking food from my hand, have a good feel of their bum! haha :shock:

I guess the problem will be if there is anything, he won't be able to get it off.

Could you have a look around for a rabbit savvy sitter? who could be called upon if your dad was worried?

What about getting an insect repeller?

I have just bought one from amazon - plug in bright light one. I am amazed at how many flying bugs I did not even know were in the room!

Might put your mind as rest re fly strike or apply some reguard.

Could you book in with a rabbit savvy boarder? I haven't been on holiday in a long while but last time I did go on holiday in the summer my buns went into boarding and it gave me huge peace of mind knowing they were in rabbit-savvy hands :)

Rearguard would be a good option to prevent flystrike if that's your worry. It might also help to leave your dad the contact number for someone to call for advice/vet if you won't be easy to get hold of.

If you've got a carrier, those are great for people that have trouble picking bunnies up as you can tempt them in and transport that way :)

I can empathise! I have just returned from 2 weeks on Greek island and Will & Nancy were left in my (nearly 19 year old) sons care. He has looked after them before but not for this length of time, nor at this time of year. He also struggles to handle them.

So this was the plan (he obviously knows their feeding and cleaning routines).
At breakfast time, give a good feel round their bottoms, tail area and treat time in the evening, tease them into standing right up to get a good look. The fact that Dan doesn't handle them works in his favour, as they let him stroke them and lure then into the carrier. This meant they could still have time on the grass run too.

My son doesn't drive yet, so we had contingency plans for emergencies if necessary.

I came back yesterday, to be met with thumps that the picky up humans had returned!

Back