• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which vacuum cleaner do you use?

BunnyMyHunny

Young Bun
I'm about to buy a new vacuum cleaner and I was wondering what everybody here uses? I sweep my carpets to pick up most of the hay anyway and I'll continue to do so to hopefully prolong the life of the vacuum as much as possible. My last one works still but the beater bar broke because my husband snagged it badly on the carpet and didn't notice so I think the motor for it burnt out it certainly smelt like that was what happened! It's rubbish without the beater bar.

I've read that using a henry hoover without a bag in is a good option? Does buying a pet vacuum make any difference to how well it picks up small pieces of hay? Thanks for any and all responses :). It'd be great to get something good that does the job as my Dad gets very distraught over my hay covered house and keeps offering to build me hutches every time he comes round :lol:

Oh and sorry if this doesn't belong in rabbit chat I thought it was sort of related since it's cleaning up after buns :?

We have a Dyson DC50 Animal - the compact version.
It's brilliant, but you do compromise on how often you have to empty it. I struggled to carry our old one up the stairs, so a smaller, lighter version was perfect for me, even if I do have to empty it more often.

I love the furniture / stair tool ours came with, having inside bunnies mean the fur gets everywhere and having a "brush type" tool for the stairs is brilliant.

They're not cheap, but our previous Dyson lasted 10 years, with just one service! :thumb:

I have a cheap bagless vacuum from Argos, was £40. Have had it for years and I use it to hoover the vet bed with loads of hay on it and it picks up great :)

I've worked my way through 3 hoovers (they still technichally work but capacity wasn't big enough) and as I'm allergic to dust, I found the bagless one no good and blocked easily, then I got a cheap tesco bagged one, but that filled up to quickly, so now I have a miele S2111 with anti allergy 4.5 litre bags and filters, and a good brush attachment. The miele is the best one I've had so far.

I've got one of the current dyson animals - DC39 I think.
all that makes it "animal" over the standard DC39 is the animal head (new version). I find it's fantastic for picking up my long hair which clogs the normal head and it's great for getting fur out of upholstery, but fairly useless for little bits of hay and stuff like that - it actually seems to spring them away. Also it's tiny so takes forever to hoover with it.
As a vacuum with the standard head it's pretty good and left the carpet free of the tiny pieces of hay that get trodden in. Not the best thing ever but lots of tools available making it very flexible and it came with a 5 year warranty (our last hoover was a samsung that performed brilliantly but only lasted 2 years!).

I've also had a miele animal thing that was very good but I can't be dealing with bags.

G-Tech Air Ram :thumb:. Absolutely the BEST vacuum I've ever owned. Waaay better than my Dyson Animal.

I've got a vax something. It's a great hoover for a small flat, it's so light and it has a long lead so I can do the whole flat without bothering to switch plugs :lol:

I have a hetty and love it. Also you can buy reusable bags from amazon for about £3. It can (not always) damage/ clog the filter if you use it bagless

Thanks everybody! lots of varied advice lol. my mom and dad have a miele cat and dog and they've had it for over a decade so i know they're decent but i also know they're quite expensive. there's a vax for sale in the bnm round the corner right now for a really good price. everybody has definitely given me some hoover food for thought. i guessed there'd be lots of positive words for dysons as a lot of people love them but they're just a bit too high in the price range for me right now :( i guess i have to decide am i going to buy a possibly inferior hoover for less or wait it out and keep on sweeping and save for something dearer. :)

Thanks everybody! lots of varied advice lol. my mom and dad have a miele cat and dog and they've had it for over a decade so i know they're decent but i also know they're quite expensive. there's a vax for sale in the bnm round the corner right now for a really good price. everybody has definitely given me some hoover food for thought. i guessed there'd be lots of positive words for dysons as a lot of people love them but they're just a bit too high in the price range for me right now :( i guess i have to decide am i going to buy a possibly inferior hoover for less or wait it out and keep on sweeping and save for something dearer. :)

I got my vax for about £70 when it should have been £250. If you can hold out until the Bank Holiday they often have sales for things like hoovers, they think people spend their Bank Hols doing DIY and home improvement :lol:

Back