• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So relieved!

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Following Autumns refusal to eat hay (She's normally a huge hay eater) and reluctance to use the water bottle my vet couldn't find anything wrong with her teeth when they looked. Call me crazy but I opted for a GA for a closer look as something is definately off and I didn't want to leave it until she stopped eating completely. I've been feeling guilty ever since. Thankfully shes now awake so hopefully she'll start nomming hay now.

I think you did the best thing .. what did the vet find with the teeth?

I hope she's back to normal nomming very very soon :D

I don't know as it was only the nurse I spoke to. Her mouth wasn't cut by the teeth but I know from experience that they can have massively different pain thresholds so I'm hoping it'll make a difference even if it was only a small spur or something. I had to syringe feed her husbun for a week when he stopped eating, 3 vets said they really didn't think it was his teeth but I made them do the op anyway as had run out of options. They burred a tiny tiny spur and as soon as he woke up he started eating.

I had that with Pebbles, he'd had a dental, but just 3 weeks later he stopped eating again. The other vet (different to one I usually see) looked in his mouth and said his teeth were fine. I wasn't convinced, so I got my usual vet to look closer under anaesthetic, and there was a tiny spur that had either been missed during previos dental, or had grown quickly over previous 3 weeks.

Go with you instinct, especially where teeth are concerned. Even a small spur can cause pain and discomfort. Also, it may be wise to get an x-ray done as there may be problems with tooth roots that are not obvious from a visual check.

She's 8 and doesn't have a history of regular dentals, just one when I first got her and no eye issues or sneezing so I'm not too worried about tooth root issues but will certainly keep an eye on her thank you.

If she continues to not eat, I'd still request an x-ray...I thought Violet (who I lost a week ago) just needed a dental as she had stopped eating but the x-ray showed a tumor in her chest cavity pressing on her lungs which was making it difficult to breathe, eat & drink. I'd only had her 8 months and there had been no sign of problems until the week before she stopped eating.

edited to correct

Last edited:
Back