• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possibly my new baby ?!(Pic added)

luna

Mama Doe
Let me just start by saying I have looked in the rescues already and was interested in two bunnies there but both had possible health problems so this is why I am looking at free ads.

This morning I have come across a litter of lops that I have enquired about. They are NOT from a deliberate breeder. They are a one off litter from a girl with two rabbits. Anyway I enquired about them because I noticed they were not described as mini lops so thought maybe they are larger and as some of you know I would just love a biggish bun. So I enquired and the lady said the mum is a full sized lop and dad is a smaller dwarf lop but that the babies are just 9 weeks old and a good size already.

I'm not sure what she meant by full sized lop though ? She couldn't tell me the weights :/ the pics of them are gorgeous ... grey and white and black and white. I'm particularly drawn to the grey and white. Will post pics when on my laptop later :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
So here is a pic of one of the bunny . Personally I think that isn't a great way to handle a bun but maybe I am just being paranoid. Any opinions? The lady said this bun is a male but she is not 100% sure so I don't know now. I want a guarantee of the sex because I do not want to end up with a female. I don't want to bond two females and for it not to work out.

greylop.jpeg

He is stunning though isnt he :love::love::love::love:

He/she is very gorgeous. I agree it's not the right way to hold a bun.

I thought so alright. Something like incorrect handling is enough to put me off because I wonder what else the owner has done wrong :/

Personally I would never get a free ad bun. You don't know their history and often the people will lie just to get rid of them. The fact that the owners have no idea how to handle a bun would greatly put me off. Chances are that they are on an awful diet, possibly inbred, in small accommodation etc...this boosts their chances of health problems. At least with rescue buns, the rescue has evaluated them, vaccinated them and neutered them. Obviously there is still a risk of health problems in the future, but at leas you wouldn't be getting a poorly bun to begin with. Tbh, most buns will develop some kind of health problem at some point in their life.

Personally I would never get a free ad bun. You don't know their history and often the people will lie just to get rid of them. The fact that the owners have no idea how to handle a bun would greatly put me off. Chances are that they are on an awful diet, possibly inbred, in small accommodation etc...this boosts their chances of health problems. At least with rescue buns, the rescue has evaluated them, vaccinated them and neutered them. Obviously there is still a risk of health problems in the future, but at leas you wouldn't be getting a poorly bun to begin with. Tbh, most buns will develop some kind of health problem at some point in their life.

Thanks vegan bunny. To be honest I agree with you ... I just don't have a good feeling about it at all !!! And I agree about the rescues whole heartedly but iv reached a dead end going down that avenue right now. I will keep an eye out though :)

Thanks vegan bunny. To be honest I agree with you ... I just don't have a good feeling about it at all !!! And I agree about the rescues whole heartedly but iv reached a dead end going down that avenue right now. I will keep an eye out though :)

Are you looking for a friend for an existing rabbit? Or are you just wanting a bun? Tbh, ither way, it's best to wait until the right bun comes along. It may take a while. I understand that if it's a friend you are needing for a bun that time may not be on your side, but best to wait for the right bun rather than rush into it and regret it. :thumb:

Are you looking for a friend for an existing rabbit? Or are you just wanting a bun? Tbh, ither way, it's best to wait until the right bun comes along. It may take a while. I understand that if it's a friend you are needing for a bun that time may not be on your side, but best to wait for the right bun rather than rush into it and regret it. :thumb:

We lost bobby a month ago so we are looking for a new husbun for Rosie but there is no urgency. She has actually come out of her depressed mood in the last week and is starting to get really friendly with me again and is overall much more active and bold . Lol :)

We lost bobby a month ago so we are looking for a new husbun for Rosie but there is no urgency. She has actually come out of her depressed mood in the last week and is starting to get really friendly with me again and is overall much more active and bold . Lol :)

Sorry to hear that. :( I am glad Rosie is doing well.

I would definitely not opt for a free ad bun then. What if she doesn't bond with him? I would definitely wait for a rescue bun to turn up so you can take her on a date to see how they will get on.

Sorry to hear that. :( I am glad Rosie is doing well.

I would definitely not opt for a free ad bun then. What if she doesn't bond with him? I would definitely wait for a rescue bun to turn up so you can take her on a date to see how they will get on.

I know ... Unfortunately bunny dating hasn't caught on here yet. I am looking at the rescues but I could be waiting a long time. I don't think I can go with assissi rescue anymore because they ask that you follow up with panacur treatment for their bunnies and the other rescue is very small scale.

So my curiosity got the better of me about this grey and white bun so I rang up. It's basically a lady with two buns who bred and she is now getting the buck neutered.

I asked her what their diet is like and she said they are eating pellets and have been eating veg since 5 weeks. This is such a red flag for me. They could easily have digestive problems as a result couldn't they ? Plus if it's her first experience of baby buns how sure could she be of the sexes? They are nine weeks now. I really need to stop looking at his pic though:/ he is so cute!

So my curiosity got the better of me about this grey and white bun so I rang up. It's basically a lady with two buns who bred and she is now getting the buck neutered.

I asked her what their diet is like and she said they are eating pellets and have been eating veg since 5 weeks. This is such a red flag for me. They could easily have digestive problems as a result couldn't they ? Plus if it's her first experience of baby buns how sure could she be of the sexes? They are nine weeks now. I really need to stop looking at his pic though:/ he is so cute!

As long as the Mum has been eating veg all through nursing the Kits then it is fine for 5 week olds to have access to veg too. I have always allowed Kits to eat what Mum eats as they venture out of the nest. Veg is only an issue for Kits if given as a totally new food- ie the Kits are only introduced to Veg AFTER leaving Mum at 7-8 weeks of age, or if given veg in vast quantities :) If Mum never had Veg whilst raising the Kits then it's best not to introduce Veg into the Kits diet until they are about 12 weeks of age.

I've got to say I think this all sounds very much 'what ifs'. A bunny you get from a rescue would quite likely have been bred for either a pet shop or in a BYB, the difference is that they've had appropriate monitoring and vet care since. I don't mean that rescue bunnies are bad at all before anyone things I mean that, just that you can't really second guess whether a bunny will get digestive problems especially if you're basing it on whether or not they ate veg at a young age.

As long as the Mum has been eating veg all through nursing the Kits then it is fine for 5 week olds to have access to veg too. I have always allowed Kits to eat what Mum eats as they venture out of the nest. Veg is only an issue for Kits if given as a totally new food- ie the Kits are only introduced to Veg AFTER leaving Mum at 7-8 weeks of age, or if given veg in vast quantities :) If Mum never had Veg whilst raising the Kits then it's best not to introduce Veg into the Kits diet until they are about 12 weeks of age.

Thanks for this Jane. I never knew this and it's very reassuring to hear. So my only concern regarding this bun would be getting him / her sexed wrongly and ending up with a girl :/ the girl seems very confident about it though and says she could guarantee that he is a boy but she has only had one litter so I'm not sure you can know for definite with such little experience!

I've got to say I think this all sounds very much 'what ifs'. A bunny you get from a rescue would quite likely have been bred for either a pet shop or in a BYB, the difference is that they've had appropriate monitoring and vet care since. I don't mean that rescue bunnies are bad at all before anyone things I mean that, just that you can't really second guess whether a bunny will get digestive problems especially if you're basing it on whether or not they ate veg at a young age.

Thanks for your input hesperus :) I agree with you. Iv just become super paranoid about taking on a rabbit with health problems after losing Bobby. If I could know for sure that this bun was male I think I would like to give him a home !!!

So I got in touch with the lady and said I would like to come meet the little guy and im very interested and now my husband says that we should just keep it at one rabbit ... That we have had too much stress with pets these last few weeks and I am just complicating things and adding stress into our lives. I'm confused .. he seemed ok with the possibility of another bun up until today.

I know he has a point but the lady is going to think I'm such a time waster now as I was already in touch with her at the start of the week and said I would leave it and then got in touch again today.

Gosh since bobby passed my head has been all over the place and I can't make a decision or get my head to switch off :(

So I got in touch with the lady and said I would like to come meet the little guy and im very interested and now my husband says that we should just keep it at one rabbit ... That we have had too much stress with pets these last few weeks and I am just complicating things and adding stress into our lives. I'm confused .. he seemed ok with the possibility of another bun up until today.

I know he has a point but the lady is going to think I'm such a time waster now as I was already in touch with her at the start of the week and said I would leave it and then got in touch again today.

Gosh since bobby passed my head has been all over the place and I can't make a decision or get my head to switch off :(

Not sure if this will help or not...........

Things to consider if you get him:

1- He may not be a 'he'. Would you still keep 'him' ? Bonding two Does, whilst not totally impossible, is certainly the most challenging compared to bonding Buck/Doe or Buck/Buck.

2- If he is a 'he' then he wont be ready to bond with Rosie for at least 2.5 months. He will need to be castrated first, that wont be possible for at least another 6 weeks then he'll need time to recover from the op' and for his hormones to settle down.

3- You will have to do the bonding. What if it does not work out ?

It is entirely your choice as to when and where you obtain your next Rabbit. But if any of the above would present insurmountable problems for you them maybe waiting a while and keeping an eye on the Rescue situation would be best. I dont know if it is the case in Ireland, but over here some Rescues provided support after rehoming. They can help with bondings and offer advice about any other concerns you have about a Rabbit adopted from them. You definitely do not get that when buying from Freeads. So if that is the route you eventually choose then you will be going in with your eyes open so to speak and once you have the new Rabbit you are unlikely to receive any ongoing support from the person rehoming him/her to you.

Blimey, I am sure there must be a more concise way for me to say all that !! :lol:

Not sure if this will help or not...........

Things to consider if you get him:

1- He may not be a 'he'. Would you still keep 'him' ? Bonding two Does, whilst not totally impossible, is certainly the most challenging compared to bonding Buck/Doe or Buck/Buck.

2- If he is a 'he' then he wont be ready to bond with Rosie for at least 2.5 months. He will need to be castrated first, that wont be possible for at least another 6 weeks then he'll need time to recover from the op' and for his hormones to settle down.

3- You will have to do the bonding. What if it does not work out ?

It is entirely your choice as to when and where you obtain your next Rabbit. But if any of the above would present insurmountable problems for you them maybe waiting a while and keeping an eye on the Rescue situation would be best. I dont know if it is the case in Ireland, but over here some Rescues provided support after rehoming. They can help with bondings and offer advice about any other concerns you have about a Rabbit adopted from them. You definitely do not get that when buying from Freeads. So if that is the route you eventually choose then you will be going in with your eyes open so to speak and once you have the new Rabbit you are unlikely to receive any ongoing support from the person rehoming him/her to you.

Blimey, I am sure there must be a more concise way for me to say all that !! :lol:

Thanks for your reply Jane, ever the voice of reason ;) you make a lot of valid points!

My husband is warming a little more to the idea. I'm going to sit down in a while and write a pro / con list to try make things more clear in my head and try make a decision this evening so I can let the lady know :)

I did up my pro / con list and taking my own doubts into consideration, janes points and my lengthy list of cons I have contacted the lady to tell her I have changed my mind. It's for the best I think.

Back