• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When will Milo and Finn ''Drop'' ? (UPDATE:PHOTOS)

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
They will be 18 weeks this Friday, I.e Four months and two weeks.

I have been keeping my eyes open for any plumbs dropping but so far haven't seen any signs. There is also no humping, spraying etc. Or any kind of behavior that would suggest they have come of age. When is the general age that they ''drop''?

I'm starting to wonder if I have boys at all, the vet was a bit unsure about Finn when I took them at four months to be checked for anything, but eventually said he was sure they were both male.

I'm really eager to get them done so that no fighting or territorial behavior develops, as they do love each other at the minute. The vet said he couldn't feel anything in either of them the last time we were there? But I also had some suggestions that they may have sucked anything they did have back up?

I have been trying to check without picking them up as I think picking them up would make them ''hide'' anything they had as they both obviously dislike it. I've been holding a piece of parsley up high to make them stand up and been having a good look but nothing!

When will I know!? :lol:

Last edited:
Well if they are boys they should have their testicles through by now. There is so much fur around them you do have to search well to find them. If you don't want to do it yourself you will have to take them to the Vets. If they are boys you need to get them done soon now, maybe you have a b/g seeing as how they get on so well?

Well if they are boys they should have their testicles through by now. There is so much fur around them you do have to search well to find them. If you don't want to do it yourself you will have to take them to the Vets. If they are boys you need to get them done soon now, maybe you have a b/g seeing as how they get on so well?

I have no idea...but the vet said they had absolutely nothing and that was at 4 months old! It seems pointless to take them back to the vets when I know there's been no change from last time? He'll just tell me that there's nothing there and to come back later?

I actually made an appointment to go back when they are 5 months to get them checked again. But the vet didn't want me to come back until they were 6 months!

Last edited:
DP had one dropped and one that took a while
He was done at 4 months but we took him there I think every 3 weeks and went about 3 times before they did him

So no idea on how you can see yourself if they've dropped, but I'd wait until 5 months unless you see any changes on behaviour, in which case maybe separate them and book them on again ASAP

DP had one dropped and one that took a while
He was done at 4 months but we took him there I think every 3 weeks and went about 3 times before they did him

So no idea on how you can see yourself if they've dropped, but I'd wait until 5 months unless you see any changes on behaviour, in which case maybe separate them and book them on again ASAP

Hmm, I guess as long as there isn't any bad behaviors I could just take them to the 5 month appointment to see if there's been any change?

Casserole had his at 12 weeks even I could see them :oops: the vet said Dumplin was possibly a girl but wasn't 100%

They were both booked in at 16 weeks for 1 spay and 1 neuter but he said he would check Dumplin first under anaesthetic and found his plums :lol:

He was hiding them very well the vet said :lol:

The vet should be able to tell boy from girl without testicles to go on. If you can get a good picture of their downstairs bits we can probably tell for you - I appreciate that might not be easy to do though. You probably need one person holding the bun, one holding the camera, do it in a well lit (sunlight) room and turn the macro (tulip) button on for your camera.

It would be quite unusual not to have testicles by now, but they can develop late, suck them in etc. so it doesn't mean they aren't boys or won't get them. Sometimes they don't drop and the vet has to go fishing. You do want to be sure though, as if there is a risk one isn't a boy your getting to the period where the deciding factor can be they present you with surprise extras.

How good is your vet with bunnies? Someone might be able to point you somewhere to get a second opinion.

The vet should be able to tell boy from girl without testicles to go on. If you can get a good picture of their downstairs bits we can probably tell for you - I appreciate that might not be easy to do though. You probably need one person holding the bun, one holding the camera, do it in a well lit (sunlight) room and turn the macro (tulip) button on for your camera.

It would be quite unusual not to have testicles by now, but they can develop late, suck them in etc. so it doesn't mean they aren't boys or won't get them. Sometimes they don't drop and the vet has to go fishing. You do want to be sure though, as if there is a risk one isn't a boy your getting to the period where the deciding factor can be they present you with surprise extras.

How good is your vet with bunnies? Someone might be able to point you somewhere to get a second opinion.

In all honesty the vet did have a good poke and look at them and decided that they were both boys. But my concern is more about the fighting etc. I can try and get a photo when I am home later but Milo is much more open to being handled than Finn, Finn physically kicks and fights with you if you try anything.

Totally agree with this. You'd be pretty unlucky to have 2 with retained testicles and the last thing you want is baby bunnies.

Totally agree with this. You'd be pretty unlucky to have 2 with retained testicles and the last thing you want is baby bunnies.

See that's exactly what I thought, it would be a huge coincidence if both of them had their bits hoiked up at the vets at 4 months of age...

I don't know what to do? Do I take them back to the vets Friday and get them checked again? Or do I wait and see if anything develops before 5 months? I don't know...

I mean assuming that the vet is right my old fear is fighting, if one is a girl then the fear is unwanted babies....if both are girls its the same problem if they are both boys! :shock:

Try getting the photos. Failing that you could get a second opinion from another vet unless there is a member local who could help you.

Also don't panic too much about the fighting. Yes its a risk as they start to get hormonal but as long as you keep any eye on them you should be able to catch it before it becomes a problem.

Try getting the photos. Failing that you could get a second opinion from another vet unless there is a member local who could help you.

I'll do my best to get some photos tonight, might be easier said than done though. Milo is a lovely bun bun Finnlay is going to hate me...

Even if you just get Milo, if he's a boy with no testicles at least that's one thing, if he's a girl, then you can get a bit more worried :lol: The other thing, how old were they when you got them - could they be a bit younger than you think?

With fighting usually you see some signs eg chasing, getting grumpy over food, marking territory. Try to avoid changing territory eg buying a new cage or letting them out in a new area, as that's a big trigger for boys to argue. Hormones tend to come with testicles so if they are late developers they could be short on hormones too.

Even if you just get Milo, if he's a boy with no testicles at least that's one thing, if he's a girl, then you can get a bit more worried :lol: The other thing, how old were they when you got them - could they be a bit younger than you think?

With fighting usually you see some signs eg chasing, getting grumpy over food, marking territory. Try to avoid changing territory eg buying a new cage or letting them out in a new area, as that's a big trigger for boys to argue. Hormones tend to come with testicles so if they are late developers they could be short on hormones too.

When I got them the breeders told me they were 6 weeks old (Which I now know is a no no) but I was sure that Finn was maybe a week older? Either that or he has just always been a bigger bunny.

I worked out their ages based on them being 6 weeks when I got them and they are as I say 4 months and two weeks on Friday.

Ill try and get some photos :thumb: Neither of them are fond of being poked but i'm sure if I rope my OH in to take some photos while I hold them it could work. My OH is never thrilled with getting involved in bunny bits, I think he finds it weird lol. :lol:

Oh and I'm getting their new enclosure set up on Saturday! D= Does this mean I can't let them in it in case of any squabbling?

It could. I would find out what they are first - if boys then don't move them for now.

I really don't want to have to leave them where they are, they have essentially been in a cage for a few weeks now (with free range time on a morning and evening ad lots at weekends). I wanted them in there the least amount of time physically possible....They were only in there because there were complications with work on the house and it was the only place they could go. I wanted to get them out ASAP as its just not suitable..

It's tough because for some bunnies it would make no difference at all, but new territory is a potential trigger for fights so it's higher risk to pop two unneutered boys in a new space than two neutered bunnies. On the other hand a lack of space can be a factor too.

Lets try the pictures and see if that helps work it out. It might be you flip them over and find plums :lol:

I would also suggest having a bit of a rummage and seeing if you can find any shrivelly bits of skin either side of the 'bits', or feel around in the skin for any little bumps. If they are boys and they are sucking them back in, then you should be able to see the testicle sacks (literally like little shrivelly sacks of skin) either side. If they are boys and their bits genuinely haven't dropped yet, I would suggest having a bit of a rummage around with the more handle-able one and see if you can feel them under the surface. If you part the fur in about the right place for testicles, you can often see the testicles making their way to the surface, they look like a baked bean or a kidney bean under the skin, you should be able to see it if you move the skin around gently. If you find either a shrivelly sack or a baked bean under the skin, then you definitely have a boy.

If you can get some photos to show us, we can take a look too - or it might be worth getting a second opinion from another vet to see if you can at least feel confident what gender bunnies you have. I think it's really important to find out ASAP because you do run the risk of either a pregnancy or fighting, and the best way to manage the risks is to know which gender they are. Good luck xx

Back