• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes

clarebear

Mama Doe
This evening we found a pigeon down the bottom of our garden with no head? Would this have been a Fox? Now really worried about our bunnies that live outside. There are chickens next door and I wondered if that what it was after.

Our bunnies have a hutch with permanently attached run. Do you think it would be safe enough to keep a Fox out?

If the pigeon had no head it's most likely a rat.
I've had the same thing happen to my pigeons when a rat got in the loft.

We have a cat who has been known to steal birds/ rodents killed by our other cat and just eat the heads off them- I'm not sure if other cats do that or if she is just some sort of weirdo :? Either way that is a possibility, as I wouldn't have thought that a fox would go for a pigeon. That or it has died some other way and a rat or other animal has got to it?

A cat down my road likes to de-head pigeons :( shes really friendly to humans though and comes in our garden and sniffs the rabbits (they like her) but they're in safe enclosures and can't be harmed or even clawed.

Not to be grim but foxes take heads too - my friend had a oair of rabbits in a unsafeish hutch and a fox got in and took a head of one rabbit but left the body and the other rabbit - though that makes no sense because surely you'd take the body and leave the head? I dont know but hope everyones bunnies are safe - that was a few years ago but still!

My first rabbits cage was dragged out into the middle of the garden and tipped by a fox but funnily enough it was my p@h hutch that saved her! It was fox proof and it was well made but I've never seen a hutch in p@h like that one so tend to avoid now

fox, cat or rat. regarding your outside run- it very much depends on how robust it is- not just sides but roof and floor. a dirt /grass floor is no protection as rats and foxes just dig under.

We have a very sturdy two tier hutch with a run permanently attached, also very sturdy. All on the patio. My concern was how the run is attached to the hutch. At the moment it just hooks on with two small hooks, also how Fox proof is the wire? Could a Fox get through it easily? Our wire is stapled onto the outside. The run is really heavy, despite being on wheels I struggle to move it. It has a plastic corrugated roof over wire. Any tips gratefully received!

I also think it is unlikely a fox would get a pidgeon, but foxes do take the heads off rabbits....unfortunately I lost Steffi in that way to a fox..she was free ranging in the evening and normally my buns come indoors when i shake their food, but that day Steffi refused and I went in for half an hour to make kids dinner. When i went back out to get her, her body was on the lawn, minus her head :cry:

I've also had foxes chew guinea pigs through the wire of a run and had foxes unattach heavy duty runs from the attached hutches...now my buns live indoors as house buns with supervised garden time.

I've also seen foxes in my garden during the daytime, so unless your set up is like fort knox, a fox could find a way in if it really wanted to.

Back