• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your rabbits hate being groomed?

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
I've heard people say their rabbits love it and will sit and be brushed willingly.. none of mine particularly like it but Barney acts like he's being murdered :shock: He kicks and grunts and wheezes his head off, strange because the rest of the time he's such a friendly cuddly bun. I hate to stress him so much but he's moulting and I'm scared of his tummy getting clogged up with fur :? It's hard to know what to do for the best sometimes :roll:

I've a few like that. Erin and Dinky in particular, they crave cuddles but as soon as you try and trim some tangly bits they have a hissy fit :roll:

My two both love it and I often get teeth chattering from them at grooming time! If he's a cuddly bun could you just do it with your hand during normal cuddle time?

They hate being picked up and plonked on my lap but when they get there they like the grooming. It must be like getting your hair done and having a massage all in one, lucky buns :)

It depends what mood mine are in. Sometimes they will stick around, others they disappear really quickly :lol:

Coco had some sticky sap in her fur the other night, I felt it as I stroked her. I managed to brush it out, along with a decent clump of fur (over a few strokes of the brush) and she didn't seem to mind, like she knew it was there. Normal grooming for my pleasure more than theirs however isn't usually accepted :lol:

Jasper loves nose rubs and being stroked, but hate spam be good brushed and lunges at me when I try (unless he's distracted by nose rubs).

Bea will let me comb her mane but only of if she's already lying down. She doesn't care about being fussed at all really.

Biffy absolutely hates it, which is difficult because he needs doing regularly. Bramble isn't keen but doesn't kick up as much of a fuss.

My two both love it and I often get teeth chattering from them at grooming time! If he's a cuddly bun could you just do it with your hand during normal cuddle time?

He's too clever for that, he's fine with people stroking or fussing him and sits there purring, but if I start to brush him or even gently tug on any loose fur he's off like a shot grumbling at me!

Fiver has always been wary of touching. If you're holding him in your arms, fine, although lately not so much because it usually means a botty bath...but Mimzy and Pip were always good bunnies about grooming till a few years ago. Since then it's WW3 when the brush comes out. :(
I think it's because they're all aging and probably dealing with mild levels of chronic pain. They're all on daily doses of metacam now and especially this year the weather has been poo so crankiness seems to be the order of the day. :roll:
As a result they are always looking tatty. You'd think Fiver would be easiest because he's a minirex but I can't lay a glove on him without receiving a boxing and angry grunts and oinks for my trouble. Don't get me wrong...they get groomed anyway but it's not a relaxing experience for anyone. :(

Don't even get me started on nail clipping/anal gland checks! :roll:

I've got 3 cuddle bunnies, so they are very good being handled during grooming. If you bribe them with treats like Kale or Herbs they will generally sit quite still, especially Hershel and George. Harry is a bit more squirmy and tries to run away but doesn't get offended if you stop her.

They will tell you though when they have had enough, Harry will just run away and refuse to come back, but Hershel and George both throw a little hissy fit :lol: :lol: on the towel we use to sit them on.

It's another story though when it comes to trimming their nails. Last time we did George's we were quite worried about him as he acted like he had been shot and took ages to clam down.

Stu puts up with it for me :roll:

Casserole well if you must bit I'm still eating :lol:

Dumplin don't touch me I'm off unless you have a fenugreek Crunchie :lol: fooled ya I'm off anyway Crunchie in mouth running to back,of summer house where he knows I won't follow :lol:

i may as well try to brush Edward and Bella with an axe!!

you'd think i was trying to murder them, they hate it. i have to pluck the "wiggies" out when they least expect it!!

My bun loves it. She gets right stuck in grooming me back. I love our grooming sessions :D she hates being picked up. Full stop, but get on the floor with her and she will beg to be groomed :)

Out of 7 only, only one bun likes it but she is a snuggle bun anyway.
The rest..Some sort of tolerate it..but I now have FondueKid come over to do it.
She's brilliant. ..Harley the hairy lion head was pretty feisty first time but the second time she was practically asleep on FondueKids lap.
Holly developed little 'horns' of matted hair on her back legs and around her bum...all gone now.
And I have learnt a lot by just watching. .how you can handle a bunny intent on doing somersaults to escape more than anything :)

I thought teeth chattering was a sign of being cross x

I'm jealous of all those people who have lovely mutual grooming sessions with their buns! :lol: It's not fair!

Back