• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing rabbits in at night?

Nic.

Warren Scout
Thinking about moving my buns outside, not sure yet. If I do, I'll probably want to bring them in at night time. Would it be okay to have them outside during the day when I'm out and then bring them inside the house all night and when I'm in the house during the day? I'm just wondering if having them indoors so much would mean they won't get very thick coats and will get cold.

They don't adjust to temperature change very well so you'd need to think about things like how happy would you be if it was minus 2 outside and you'd have to be around the same temperature indoors overnight and during the day - decision made? :lol:

^^ agree with the above putting them in and out is not always recommended as they're not great with temperature drops.

My bun was an outdoor rabbit until Feb this year and is now full time sofa and carpet eater!

It's safer for her and because she's my only one she gets loads if 1:1 attention rather then in a hutch alone!

^^ agree with the above putting them in and out is not always recommended as they're not great with temperature drops.

My bun was an outdoor rabbit until Feb this year and is now full time sofa and carpet eater!

It's safer for her and because she's my only one she gets loads if 1:1 attention rather then in a hutch alone!

Thanks both for the replies. Got a bit of a dilemma because I can't find a house that allows pets when i go back to uni in September! My choices are either keep them in the garden or leave them with my parents :( I hate the idea of them being outside because I'm so used to having them indoors with me :( Do people who have outdoor buns not bring them in at all because of the temperature change? I can't imagine not chilling with my bunnies on my bed :lol:

Mine are outdoors and they only get brought in on special occasions like bonfire night, new years (and that's only since we moved here as my neighbor lets off crazy fireworks!) The first time he did it, I hadn't anticipated it as they've always been fine with fireworks but they were so close :shock: I had to grab them to bring them in (whilst in fear of my own life at the time as I hate fireworks!)

Penfold hated it and was digging at their blanket which I brought in to put on the sofa with us and wouldn't poop. Dangermouse just snuggled next to me on the sofa for hours although again, probably because she didn't have a loo and they were in an unfamiliar and hot environment which none of us expected them to be in!

Mine are outdoors and they only get brought in on special occasions like bonfire night, new years (and that's only since we moved here as my neighbor lets off crazy fireworks!) The first time he did it, I hadn't anticipated it as they've always been fine with fireworks but they were so close :shock: I had to grab them to bring them in (whilst in fear of my own life at the time as I hate fireworks!)

Penfold hated it and was digging at their blanket which I brought in to put on the sofa with us and wouldn't poop. Dangermouse just snuggled next to me on the sofa for hours although again, probably because she didn't have a loo and they were in an unfamiliar and hot environment which none of us expected them to be in!

Aw poor things :( That's a good point about bonfire night though, would have to bring them in anyway then. I'm worried they'll be lonely if I put them outside. Tempted to just lie to the landlord and keep them in my bedroom :lol: Although that could definitely go badly if they find out!

Just say to the landlord in your most innocent voice if you're caught 'well they weren't there yesterday, and I have no idea how they managed to bring all these toys in here either along with a water bottle and food :shock: ' :lol::lol:

Mine are outdoors and the only time they have ever come indoors is after surgery, or if unwell.

They do not come in on bonfire night but I do leave the shed light on to hopefully dull down any flashes. They luckily aren't bothered at all by the fireworks - and we have several and boy are they LOUD - because I've gone to check on them during such a noisy bout and they've just been sat there, munching on hay and completely unphased by the noise.

It's never been cold enough to warrant bringing them indoors overnight as they have heatpads and lots and lots of straw bedding. The only thing that I do in the winter is shut the door to the outside run so they're basically restricted to the hutch and shed only. There's a right draught in the summer through the tunnel so in winter it's really bad and if minus something or other I think it would be too cold to have it open at night.

Just say to the landlord in your most innocent voice if you're caught 'well they weren't there yesterday, and I have no idea how they managed to bring all these toys in here either along with a water bottle and food :shock: ' :lol::lol:

Definitely got to try that :lol: Might have to buy a decoy hutch to set up in the garden to keep up the pretense of outdoor bunnies :lol:

Mine are outdoors and the only time they have ever come indoors is after surgery, or if unwell.

They do not come in on bonfire night but I do leave the shed light on to hopefully dull down any flashes. They luckily aren't bothered at all by the fireworks - and we have several and boy are they LOUD - because I've gone to check on them during such a noisy bout and they've just been sat there, munching on hay and completely unphased by the noise.

It's never been cold enough to warrant bringing them indoors overnight as they have heatpads and lots and lots of straw bedding. The only thing that I do in the winter is shut the door to the outside run so they're basically restricted to the hutch and shed only. There's a right draught in the summer through the tunnel so in winter it's really bad and if minus something or other I think it would be too cold to have it open at night.

If mine did go outside I think I would like to ideally get shed too. They seem more secure and would probably make bunnies feel safer on nights like bonfire night if they didn't come in. But then they're quite expensive and massive and don't know if I can build a nice set up in a house I'll only be in for a year.

I just left my buns in my room when i moved to uni xD they were fine provided that my mum fed them and i would come back every weekend to check on them but i guess that is not an option?

I just left my buns in my room when i moved to uni xD they were fine provided that my mum fed them and i would come back every weekend to check on them but i guess that is not an option?

Well my mum has said that she'll keep them if she has to until I finish uni. It takes me about 1 1/2 hours from uni to get home on train so not totally out of the question but would rather just have them with me. I feel like I'm going to be really lonely without my bunnies living with me, eating all my expensive wired products and jumping on my head every morning to wake me up :( :lol: I kept them with me in my student house last year but was lucky because the landlord never came round for inspections.

Back