• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brother and sister bunnies

Help! I'm very confused! I'm picking up two 9 week old brother and sister bunnies, who have been together since birth and was hoping to keep them together, but I do not want them to mate! Should I separate ? Keeps them together until neutering? But then how do ensure no funny business? Please help I'm on the verge of buying a second cage!

:wave:

I'm not sure what to do really but I would keep them separate as rabbits can breed very young which can obviously be very dangerous.
After castrations (can be done as soon as testicles drop) males can remain fertile for up to 4 weeks after and females hormones may take a while to calm down after a spay (5-6 months old). It's recommended to wait around 6-8 weeks before rebonding/bonding, in a small and neutral space. I wouldn't let them 'play' together either as it literally takes a second and no one is fast enough to separate that. Also when a females hormones kick in they can get very territorial and the male would still be able to 'smell' those hormones even if castrated so I would bond again 6 weeks after both of them have been neutered.

I would buy a puppy pen over a cage though, offers the space they need, cheap, flexible and easy to fold up. Unfortunately there are no cages on the market that are big enough for rabbit to be kept in for any period of time, even if they have a lot of time out. Rabbits are awake when we are asleep so overnight bad and noisy habits of bar chewing may start which can also damage their teeth. They are really just expensive litter trays :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FoxHunter...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item2ed0651f0c

Rabbits need a lot of space and a puppy pen can offer this, I believe it is recommended 44sq ft.. But I'll have to double check. There are lots of ideas in the housing section on this forum :)

how do ensure no funny business?

i have two brother-sister pairs. What you do is get them neutered/spayed and then let them get on with it. they're rabbits, they don't know you can't do that with your brother or sister!
:oops::lol:
and I'm with aly&poppy above on the puppy pen/s. start with one but you'll buy more and more. rabbits do need space.
practically, with your new situation, get the boys done as soon as their plums show, 12-16 weeks, and don't let the vet put you off. get the girls done at six months.

Ok, these bunnies will be in the garden, so not sure puppy pen would keep mr fox out? So the general consensus is to separate as soon as I get them?

I assumed when you said cage you meant indoors, for outdoor bunnies it is recommended (minimum) 6x2x2 hutch and attached 6x4/8x4 run for them to live, stretch, periscope and move around comfortably :)

I would keep them separate yeah :)

They will not be able to breed at 9 weeks - and I would advise not seperating them as soon as you get them as they will be very very stressed anyway with the change of housing, loosing their mum and siblings etc.

Keep them together at least at first - you have about 2- 3 weeks before his testicles drop - poss more in some breeds - and even then she will not be fertile at that young age (until about 4-5 months).

However once his testicles drop he will start to bother her - so you may need to separate at that stage.

If neutered as soon as they drop the separaton time should not be as long - so probably juist 3 weeks separate and then they can go back together - but do rebond with care and slowly!!!

She will need to be neutered at c5-6 months. This is essential for health reasons (uterine cancer).

I would suggest you keep them separated only by mesh during the 3 weeks so they are in contact.

Best piece of advice ever for a new rabbit owner: Get a GOOD rabbit vet lined up. Most vets are actually very untrained in rabbit health and care and finding a recommended rabbit savvy/'exotics' vet is an essential that will eventually save you time, money, and very possibly your rabbits life!

They will not be able to breed at 9 weeks - and I would advise not seperating them as soon as you get them as they will be very very stressed anyway with the change of housing, loosing their mum and siblings etc.

Keep them together at least at first - you have about 2- 3 weeks before his testicles drop - poss more in some breeds - and even then she will not be fertile at that young age (until about 4-5 months).

However once his testicles drop he will start to bother her - so you may need to separate at that stage.

If neutered as soon as they drop the separaton time should not be as long - so probably juist 3 weeks separate and then they can go back together - but do rebond with care and slowly!!!

She will need to be neutered at c5-6 months. This is essential for health reasons (uterine cancer).

I would suggest you keep them separated only by mesh during the 3 weeks so they are in contact.

Best piece of advice ever for a new rabbit owner: Get a GOOD rabbit vet lined up. Most vets are actually very untrained in rabbit health and care and finding a recommended rabbit savvy/'exotics' vet is an essential that will eventually save you time, money, and very possibly your rabbits life!

this :thumb:

Shows how much I know about baby rabbits haha :p

When they go for neutering, if the vet tells you to not feed them before the op like you would a cat or dog, find another vet. Bunnies not eating can be very dangerous and a rabbit savvy vet should know this, they can't vomit so can eat right up to the op. Also make sure they give you metacam for aftercare, lots of vets don't do this and think the 12 or 24 hour painkiller jab they give them is enough :? But you don't need to think about that just yet!

Wow! So much great advice! Thanks guys! I feel so much better in getting them now, I was very confused and nearly just got the female!

Wow! So much great advice! Thanks guys! I feel so much better in getting them now, I was very confused and nearly just got the female!

SO GLAD you didnt do that - they need company to be happy!!! Dont forget what a shock it will be for them when they come home to you. Make sure they are eating and pooing fine . Young buns may get stomach upsets when they change diet or get stressed - you must keep a very close eye on them for the first couple of weeks - any sign of poos getting smaller or fewer or any jelly like substance coming out with poo then get them to a vet asap.

Just a warning!

Do stick around here for more advice and welcome!!!

Great advice already so not sure what to add other than photos of the bunnies please

I have a brother and sister pair and they're brilliant (as all bunnies are) Separating them to be neutered nearly broke my heart as they were properly pining for each other and waffles looked so pitiful just after her spay. They're super close though and get into lots of mischief together :)

Follow this advice and you won't go far wrong :thumb:

Hi there, just to confuse you even more! I am getting brother and sister rabbits a week on Sunday. They will be 8 weeks then and as soon as they come home they will be separated. We have separate 2 tier hutches waiting for them (inside for night times to sleep in) and 2 XXL runs with giant hides so that they keep separate when they are outside in the daytime. I am getting them from a lovely lady whose family shows buns and we both think that's the best way forward. We have booked to see the vets when they come home and to sort out neutering/spaying dates. They will have plenty of contact together as they will be loved and watched 100% by myself and my daughter but we don't want any funny business! it only takes a few seconds. After they have successfully bonded we can join the hutches and hides together. They are together at the moment and very cute but know that they are going to have to be separated at some point. Well that's our plan at the moment, things could change! Good Luck with it :D

Hi there, just to confuse you even more! I am getting brother and sister rabbits a week on Sunday. They will be 8 weeks then and as soon as they come home they will be separated. We have separate 2 tier hutches waiting for them (inside for night times to sleep in) and 2 XXL runs with giant hides so that they keep separate when they are outside in the daytime. I am getting them from a lovely lady whose family shows buns and we both think that's the best way forward. We have booked to see the vets when they come home and to sort out neutering/spaying dates. They will have plenty of contact together as they will be loved and watched 100% by myself and my daughter but we don't want any funny business! it only takes a few seconds. After they have successfully bonded we can join the hutches and hides together. They are together at the moment and very cute but know that they are going to have to be separated at some point. Well that's our plan at the moment, things could change! Good Luck with it :D

You could keep them together for another month as it would be nice for them especially the little girl. She will feel more protected having just left her Mum.

Thank you tonibun. They are not in the same cage as their Mum now, Mum was getting too skinny and to the point where her spine was sticking up under her fur. They have been on a kitten milk supplement since and are doing well :)

I have a bro and sis bunnies who were neutered a few weeks ago. The vet said he advocated early neutering, and he also said that they weren't happy on being separated, so he recommended that they were kept together all of the time. We brought them home and let them be together but keeping a very close eye on them. They were absolutely fine - they snuggled up together and were quiet for the first day but after that were as normal.

There has been no "funny business" :lol: as far as I've seen........

Back