• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Look what I have just seen (Giant Papillon)

luna

Mama Doe
Okay so I was doing my usual browsing through free ad sites and I came across a male giant papillon who is 7 months old and looking for a new home. Please can someone who has experience of this breed share what you know ... :D If I were to adopt him I would be able to get him neutered straight away I'm guessing or is he too young being a giant breed? I have enquired about him and the girl said he is about 4kilos at the mo but im guessing he has lots more growing to do.

Oh I don't know what to do. I have wanted a big breed for some time but I also know they don't live for as long and are prone to health problems. Plus my husband thinks I'm mad and is not too keen on a rabbit who can pinch your food from the table . Lol !!!!

Here is the man himself. I hope its ok to put this picture up. If not I guess it can be removed by a moderator. I wasn't too sure :/

giantpapillon.jpeg
:love::love::love::love::love:

Last edited:
He's lovely :love:

My contis (both boys) were neutered at around six months on the advice of my vet and both were fine.

I loooooove big bunnies :love:

I think they are smaller that the other giants, and more lean (which possibly makes them healthier but also more springy/agile). I would guess at 7 months/4kg he's not going to get into the ridiculously huge bracket. That's still a big bunny though - have you met giants in person? You'd be able to get insurance to help with future health costs, but it is likely he'd be more the 6-8yrs than the 8-10.

I don't know how fast they mature, you could ask if his testicles had dropped yet - that's a pretty important first step for neutering :)

He's lovely :love:

My contis (both boys) were neutered at around six months on the advice of my vet and both were fine.

I loooooove big bunnies :love:

That's good to know. Thanks :) I just noticed that the girl upped his price from €30 to € 50 since I enquired and I think that's a bit cheeky. Surely if you really cared about your pet you wouldn't want to profit.i would be more than willing to pay that much if he was neutered or vaccinated but he is not !ah well :/

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I think they are smaller that the other giants, and more lean (which possibly makes them healthier but also more springy/agile). I would guess at 7 months/4kg he's not going to get into the ridiculously huge bracket. That's still a big bunny though - have you met giants in person? You'd be able to get insurance to help with future health costs, but it is likely he'd be more the 6-8yrs than the 8-10.

I don't know how fast they mature, you could ask if his testicles had dropped yet - that's a pretty important first step for neutering :)

Thanks for the info Tamsin :) I actually hadn't seen a giant bun in the flesh til a few months ago. There is a flemish giant that i visit in Dublin zoo called goliath and he is huge!

It looks like I won't be getting the papillon boy now. The girl selling him upped the price since I enquired which I thought was a little cheeky and I don't know if I want to deal with her now. I can't justify giving her €50 and then another €170 on vaccines and neutering over the next month.

Thanks jesselle. Decision made :( xx

If you have your heart set on a giant, keep an eye on local rescues. They will be neutered, vaccinated and maybe microchipped, all for a very reasonable donation. I've been very lucky and reserved 3 giants at my local rescue which means i can spend more on giving them the giant accomodation they need xx

p.s. I know that doesn't help when you fall in love with a particular bun that you want to help but I do think there is always another bun that needs you just as much ;)

Last edited:
If you have your heart set on a giant, keep an eye on local rescues. They will be neutered, vaccinated and maybe microchipped, all for a very reasonable donation. I've been very lucky and reserved 3 giants at my local rescue which means i can spend more on giving them the giant accomodation they need xx

p.s. I know that doesn't help when you fall in love with a particular bun that you want to help but I do think there is always another bun that needs you just as much ;)

I'm in Ireland so we are very limited in terms of rescues. There is a brilliant one up north called assissi but not many single males that are suitable at the moment :(

I'd message her and say you're willing to pay the 30 but not more as you'll be paying for the neutering etc. See what she says.

I'd message her and say you're willing to pay the 30 but not more as you'll be paying for the neutering etc. See what she says.

That's exactly what I did and she didn't even have the courtesy to reply and then she dropped the price to €40. She seems like a bit of a messer to me who is more concerned with money than finding a good home.

That's exactly what I did and she didn't even have the courtesy to reply and then she dropped the price to €40. She seems like a bit of a messer to me who is more concerned with money than finding a good home.

I hate it when people treat animals like this.

I hope you find your new bunny boy soon xxxx

I would just like to say he would be worth the money :thumb: here is my Giant Papillion Moley
72119b644189220afff667b991e45803.jpg

56ec65f3a5f24582c9f624fee1ea8fe5.jpg

He is incredible and weighing in at 7.2 kg at 2yrs old, he is fairly large... He is so cheeky and bossy and loves a fuss :) he is so big he is clumsy when he binkies. I understand with neutering etc it's pricey but I just wanted to say if you had decided to go for it, he would steal your heart :love:

I would just like to say he would be worth the money :thumb: here is my Giant Papillion Moley
72119b644189220afff667b991e45803.jpg

56ec65f3a5f24582c9f624fee1ea8fe5.jpg

He is incredible and weighing in at 7.2 kg at 2yrs old, he is fairly large... He is so cheeky and bossy and loves a fuss :) he is so big he is clumsy when he binkies. I understand with neutering etc it's pricey but I just wanted to say if you had decided to go for it, he would steal your heart :love:

Wow what a stunning bun moley is. You are so lucky :) I don't doubt for a second that I would have loved him. It's such a shame really but the girl just blanked me after I mentioned noticing the price going up. I wouldn't have liked to proceed with things after that. I didn't get a good vibe from her :(

I would love to see a giant bun binky.if you ever get moley on video would love to see it xx

Oh and forgot to ask about moleys health in the two years you have had him. Has all been good ? Hope you don't mind me asking :/

Last edited:
I totally get the not wanting to proceed after she put the price up I would be exactly the same... Plus if she blanks you what are you meant to do :shock: just rude really!

I will get a video my vet asked for one too, so they can put it on Facebook he is teaching the bunny owners about binky's :thumb: (some of them have never heard of them and he was shocked that I had ;)).

Unfortunately he has had health problems mainly his stomach, he suffers from bad gas and had stasis last year during his moult, but thankfully I have his diet and grooming under control and we haven't had any problems, since I tried to bond the trio a couple of months ago. He seems to get conjunctivitis a lot too (he gets in such a grump, when he does) but all these things are manageable :). Ironically it's his wife bun Poppy who has just been diagnosed with arthritis and she is half his size but a couple of years older :(

I hope that helps in case you decide to get a bug bunny. I know that we have to go into these things properly informed, but I wouldn't let that stuff about the giants put you off (any bun could have health problems) they are honestly a joy to own, I think it's something bunny lovers should experience, given the right space and set up, of course ;).

P.s. The lop also looked stunning, shame he wasn't right either. Good luck in your search.

I love love love papillons :love: especially the gorgeous Moley :love: I think that was a bit rude of the girl to ignore you especially after you'd offered such a good home :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my all time favourite breeds. He's gorgeous! :love:

I was just reading your thread about Poppy. It's interesting to hear FHB say that about spotty buns as my Poppy is a spitting image of yours and has had a few gut problems.. Also Moley has the same markings and often suffers from gas a gut problems. It's really informative thank you for posting :)

Back