• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head-tilt, rolling and clueless vet - please help!

Alleycat

Alpha Buck
Came back from vacation, and found Sharik with a head tilt - she was rushed to the vet and given antibiotics, and the vet is unsure what caused it.

Problem is she is still rolling, and although she eats and poops normally as well as cleaning herself like rabbits do, I don't know how to stop the rolling, and the vet seems to want to put her to sleep, but I need advice on how to best deal with this.

Can anyone help?

Came back from vacation, and found Sharik with a head tilt - she was rushed to the vet and given antibiotics, and the vet is unsure what caused it.

Problem is she is still rolling, and although she eats and poops normally as well as cleaning herself like rabbits do, I don't know how to stop the rolling, and the vet seems to want to put her to sleep, but I need advice on how to best deal with this.

Can anyone help?

You can prop her up with a rolled up duvet or blanket to stop the rolling (Sort of roll the duvet or blanket up into a roll and prop it up along her side?) You have to try and support her. You may have to get a second opinion from a rabbit savvy vet?

Ec or Ear Infection - my vet treats for both as symptoms are the same.

Antibiotics - Incase of infection
Metacam - To reduce inflammation of the brain if its Ec
Panacur - 28 day course to rid of Ec spores - you need to bleach clean on days 21 and 28.

You may have different brand names if in serbia, but metacam is a non steroid anti inflamatory and Panacure is Fenbendazole.

Use in combination -

meloxivet (to reduce inflamation caused by EC/ear infection); panacur (to fight EC), baytril (to fight any infection), and I also give ranitidine to make sure stomach is fine with the meloxivet; also give syringe feeds and fluids if poss.

It can get worse before gettingbetter and if EC a serious head tilt case may take 3-4 MONTHS to totally resolve. If its does not resolve by then but bun is eating/drinking/ looking happy - then bun has probably adapted to the new look on the world and will be fine anyway!

Though worth a check of kidney function in a few months as EC often damages kidneys.

Also check eyes for ulcers.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the lep!

We got hold of Baytril, and already she is able to walk better (she could not walk at all without rolling on Monday), and she is eating and pooping normally. We have ordered Panacur from the UK, so will also start this as soon as it arrives, but she is already looking much, much better, and the head tilt has even slightly improved.

She even escaped from her cage (she is normally free range, but we have confined her during this) this morning and headed straight for her favourite spot by the window and her little friend :)

One question, should we keep her away from her companion? I was thinking that if she has an infection, he would already have it, and he seems to cheer her up, but need advice...

Agree with all the excellent posts above. Treat for EC anyway - both rabbits.
If there is no good reason to separate them, I would keep your rabbits together - as long as the poorly one is coping and eating / pooing etc.
Recovery may take longer than you anticipate - keep up with the treatment and be prepared for the odd setback - but things should get better in a few weeks / months. Have a look on this forum for other posts on EC which describe the treatment and recovery for head tilt bunnies.

Well done on getting it sorted even if your vet isn't very bunny-savvy.

Back