• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies need a soft slurface to sleep on?

BlancoBunBun

Young Bun
I put a fleece blanket in my rabbit's upstairs "bedroom box" in his hutch, just so make him comfy and he seems to have made it into a new litter box area. I am thinking of not replacing the fleece tonight. That means he would be sleeping on a hard surface (PVC plastic board.)

Is it ok for bunnies to sleep on a hard surface or should they have something soft to snuggle on?

This is the set up:
IMG_4480.JPG

his "bedroom"
IMG_4503.JPG

Thank you!

Last edited:
A lot of my rabbits just sit on a hard surface even when there may be something softer. But what a lot of bunnies like is a big box lined with newspaper and topped up with hay, they love munching on the hay and while they are munching they do their toilet, and then they might sleep in the same tray/box.

Mine just sleep where they flop :lol: that can be on the rug, the blankets, in the litter tray, on the sofa, or on the one part of laminate floor that isn't covered. I've bought them various beds and they mostly just poo or pee on them :roll:

Mine pee and poo on any fleece, cat bed or vetbed, so now I just use underbed storage boxes with a thin layer of wood pellet cat litter topped with a thick comfy layer of hay. They also have hay in racks.

Mine have a litter tray with newspaper and hay but nothing particularly soft to sleep on. They have a raised platform in the run which they often doze on.

The only soft part mine have is in there litter tray, as any other they just pee and poop all over it x

The bed chamber is like mine; wooden floor. I just put a layer of straw in there for them; more in winter, less in summer, so they're not just laying on bare wood. However, when free-ranging in the garden they lie on the pebbled borders ... not particularly comfy I should think, though I would imagine they're cool.

Scamp's bed is a hay filled cardboard box sat on tile. He's carefully dug/chewed a rabbit sized oval through the box/hay and sits on the tile.

My room is carpeted and I have my bed and their litter tray and they mostly choose to sleep on some glass tiles I've put down or on top of their wooden house. Mine like sleeping on hard surfaces for some reason :lol:

Back