• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 bunny mums and their babies

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Today I took my bunny Harriet to my local rabbit rescue to be bonded with one of their bunny boys there.Fell in love with one in particular-hope she likes him but any boybun she likes will be so welcome.
The lady who runs it showed me around.She really has her hands full like any rescue these days.She showed me one little bunnygirl who shed had for a week.She had been living in a 1ftx2ft hutch :shock:with a three inch layer of muck/poo in the bottom of it.She had given birth to 6 babies 2 of which had already died when she surrendered them to the rescue(the rescue collected her so saw the conditions she lived in.)Shes called Star and is very thin.She has a very bad eye injury which means her eye needs removing but this cant be done until her kits are weaned.She is trying very hard to feed the remaining kits and one is looking decidedly dodgy but they are safe and being given the best chance possible now in a warm,clean environment.The two ladies who help carried the kits in their bras for afew hours when they first arrived to warm them:lol:The original owner is now asking for the babies to be returned when they are older and is furious that the rescue lady is saying no:roll::evil:.The owner didn't even ask how Star was doing as she isn't interested:(Thank God theyre being cared for now.

A second bunny Mum she showed me has 4 kits of her own and another from a different litter whos mum and siblings had died. I never knew a bunny mum would accept an orphand kit like that.That little family were doing well.

No point really to this thread except to share what I saw today with like minded bunny people.The callousness of some people and the amazing rescue people who pick up the pieces.The first bunny mum I described is in my thoughts all the time.She was very sweet and so very thin.I wish I had space for another girl.

Thank goodness for all the rescues who save all the bunnies who need help :thumb: there is just no excuse for not looking after them how they should be looked after :evil:

I totally understand, when I went to adopt Jenson 14 months ago from the RSPCA, they had some babies (only a few weeks old), dumped in a small hutch on wasteland..no mother in sight. Makes me sick that people can do that instead of taking them to a rescue.

Then when I went to RSPCA last week to look for a partner for Bugsy, they had some buns that had become so matted that the matts couldn't be cut out in one go. One angora that had just been rescued from a breeder who had stacks of small hutches piled high, but would only let the RSPCA take 2...so sad to think of all the others.

I just wish I could take them all :(

It really makes me feel sick hearing stories like these, I can't understand these people who are too cruel/stupid to look after their animals properly. :evil: I have to constantly remind myself of all the good people there are out there, otherwise I think I'd be constantly depressed!

Thanks for the replies.I just felt very humbled that she had opened her whole home and garden to provide space for the little souls she has in rescue.TYhe ones she cant home,she keeps in lovely conditions.She calls them the "Misfits"and they have a forever home with her in bonded pairs.:)

Back