• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril Dose?

cara

Alpha Buck
Precaution medication for bunny which is being treated for ear mites, but has scratched her ears so may be vulnerable to infection.

Bottle says '20 x Baytril 2.5% Oral Bottle of 20ml' .... give 2mls every 24hrs.

It doesn't say for how long but assume it would be 10 days? I had it in my head 5 or 7 days and thought today, at 7 would be the final dose. Poor Rosie if I have to do another 3 as she hates the whole process.

Can anyone advise please although am now sure it is 10 days.

Thanks.

Different courses for different reasons will have different lengths. With antibiotics it is important to finish the course, or the bacteria become resistant to the antibiotic.

It would be best to call your vet tomorrow and check - they will have it on his notes. Normally the vet will prescribe only enough to see the course through, so if you have some left you may have a few days left.

Yes, I intended to call Vets, but would have been nice to know tonight if the torture was over with the last dose this evening!

Yeah if you've been given 20x and it's 2ml a day, I'd say you've been given 10 days worth. Personally I think that's probably better anyway, as although it's not nice to give, it will lessen the chances of there being a few resistant bacteria left lurking behind.

Back