• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sugar and Bramble bonding

erspearson

Warren Scout
So it's been a while since Sugar went through her spay which ended up being a bit of a saga for both of us.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?422123-Spay-day-Weds-14-May-14-U-D-Call-the-fashion-police!-42

All settled down and peace and harmony resumed in the Edward+Sugar household with the slight hiccup of discovering that Sugar had a bad reaction to Baytril at the injection site resulting in a big scab that then peeled and came away with her assistance.

WP_20140615_001.jpg

Fortunately after a couple of days it was clearly healing well and was not infected so we decided to press on with the bonding to Bramble who I'd first visited (and cuddled!) several weeks earlier at one of ARC's wonderful bunny foster homes (see http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/adopt-a-rabbit/) just down the road in Twickenham.

Gill at ARC did the bonding using the 'small, neutral enclosure' method. It was a slow start but progressed well. After four very lonely days (for me that is) I was able to bring Sugar and Bramble back home to the flat which was smelling quite strongly of vinegar having washed down the kitchen to try to remove Sugar's marking from the kitchen area.

Sugar and Bramble then spent four days in the kitchen area cordoned off with 'puppy panels'. There was some mounting from both parties from both ends and some chasing but nothing vicious. Most arguments were over food.

Since then I have been gradually letting them explore further and further around the flat (Sugar had full range pre-bonding) and they seem to have been enjoying the extended territory; sometimes sticking together and sometimes finding and resting in their own space.

So far it has been a very successful bond. I'm feeling a bit of a gooseberry at the moment; Sugar is more interested in Bramble now than she was with me (humph) pre-bonding but I'd prefer to let them get on with each other for the moment and re-introduce myself to them in time (I've done some of that this weekend).

Here's some photos of the loved-up couple. For the avoidance of doubt, Sugar is the one with the silly ears. Bramble is the one currently sporting a ridiculous 'bodybuilder-gone-wrong-style' moult.

WP_20140622_001.jpg
WP_20140623_013.jpg
WP_20140629_006.jpg
WP_20140628_010.jpg
WP_20140628_015.jpg
WP_20140628_018.jpg

I'm still working on the stable name for Bramble. Currently the names of my two are:
Demerara Sugar-Bun Velvet-Bottom Pearson (f)
Bramble Jubolympic Boyband Pearson (m)

Sugar's stage name remains Gnawrer the Explorer
Bramble has not yet appeared on YouTube so I've not had to decide on his stage name yet.

Love to you all from sunny Brentford Dock.
Edward

Don't they make an adorable couple :love: really pleased they are doing so well, it is lovely to see bonded buns together. Hope it continues & that you get let into their gang again :D

It's kinda lovely isn't it. It's assumed that they are both between two and three years old but there's no reason to think that either of them has spent any time with another rabbit since they were separated from their respective litters at a few weeks old. And yet within a couple of weeks they look like they couldn't live without each other. Huge kudos to Gill at ARC for doing the bond.

Don't worry, you'll get used to being a gooseberry. I am, Delilah and Frankie only pay attention to me when they want food.

Great photos.....beautiful bunnies.:thumb::love:

Back