• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits know their names?

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Was watching a video earlier about clicker training and seeing that they can learn all these commands with some hard work

Can bunnies learn their names

Binky just ran away from me and I called her and she came running to me?

And you can be talking to Bella and she will ignore you until you say Bella - unless she thinks Bella means food? :lol:

Does anyone elses rabbits respond to their names being called or am I crazy? :lol:

Yeah mine do :)
All 3 of them. Maizie and Daisy even seem to know the difference between their names despite them sounding similar. :love:

Mine react to their names and come running to see if I have anything for them. They also stop still when they are being norty and I yell their names :lol:

I have four bunnies, and only one of them responds to their name :) If you call Ronnie he will come over to see what you have for him :love: It could just be because he's the naughtiest out of them all and I always seem to be yelling his name :lol:

Mine know their names, both look when I say "bunnies" and they used to know "bed" but now they ignore that completely when I want them back in their pen :lol:

Louie knows his name :D

He also knows "Din dins Lou!" and "Louie want 'nana" and "Louie want dandy pops? (dandelions! ) :oops:

Mine both knew their names :) And I'd assume Bella still does, unless her new family renamed her. They're clever little things!

Well that settles it, rabbits are so clever and deserved to be classed as rabbits not just 'small animals' they are actually equal to cats and dogs and its annoying some dont get treated the same!

B & B also know when I shake the pellet dishes that its breakfast time :lol:

Such smart animals that are so underrated in my eyes!

Berry knows his name. We were watching some videos we had of him and my son on the video called his name and Berry who was asleep, woke up and started looking around - so sweet. He also knows 'wheres my best boy then' - he always comes over to that.:love::love:

I am not so sure with Blossom. I think its more the sing songy voice I use that he recognises. When Bramble was alive I used to call them downstairs with a 'Blossybramble' Down they would both fly. Now if I call Blossy on his own its hit and miss but when I call the old Blossybramble he always comes down. Is both sad and nice in one! :(:love:

I agree! Ironically enough my cat doesn't seem to understand a word I say, she doesn't respond to anything :lol:
My nans cat is oblivious to everything unless you crumple up a ball of paper or you've got a straw :lol:

If only people really got to know rabbits, the fact some peoples rabbits are responding to their nicknames aswell as their names is amazing, and knowing their name from their bonded partner!
I wonder how much they actually understand but dont pay attention to :roll:
Im going to start training both buns because if a dog or cat can, why cant rabbits?!

Spenser pays no attention to his name. He will, however, respond with speed and enthusiasm to any noise that might signal food. :lol:

Both Biff and Bram know their names, at first I thought it was the pitch of my voice but it doesn't seem to be, I can say their names really quietly and they still know. Same for pellys - meaning pellets, crunchies - fengureek crunchies and nana for banana. I started clicker training them too and they knew that kiss meant get on their back legs for rub noses with me. :love:

Annabella knows both 'Annabella' and 'Anna'. She also understands 'no', but she doesn't always listen :roll:

It's simple to get them to learn their name, just say their name and give them food, then repeat a lot :lol:

Barney is deaf but when he was a housebunny he would respond to a 'stop' handsignal and a handsignal that meant 'come here'. I think he half-remembers them now, but chooses not to respond a lot of the time.

Well that settles it, rabbits are so clever and deserved to be classed as rabbits not just 'small animals' they are actually equal to cats and dogs and its annoying some dont get treated the same!

B & B also know when I shake the pellet dishes that its breakfast time :lol:

Such smart animals that are so underrated in my eyes!

So agree with this, they are very intelligent animals and as Nessar says generally food orientated so easily trainable.

Anyway all 3 of our bunnies know their names and will generally respond when called. They also know words like nom-nom and crunchie and the shake of the pellet tub. :thumb:

George and Harry respond to their names really well and will come into the hutch or run across the room to you. They are also very food orientated and so eager to please especially when in the house.

Hershel will come to the side of the run when called and get nose rubs but will only come into his house if he feels like it. Bribery does work but you have to hide, be patient (like 10 minutes) whilst he is deciding if the coast is safe, and then run quick to get him before he can get down the runaround. It use to only take a minute but he has got wise to me wanting cuddles. :lol: He is also very good in the house as well.

I don't think mine know their names.
They're either too excitable to pay attention or too strong minded to let on and come when they feel like it
But there's no doubt they're smart bunnies and are really good at communicating what they want.

So they're training me....

Back