• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marbles is outwitting me - update 16th july

katie88

Mama Doe
I am honestly being outwitted by a rabbit :?

I have 4ft puppy panels round my whole bed. Sometimes I put them up at night (so I can get some peace and quiet!) and I always put them up when I'm out. But marbles has worked out that if she chews on them hard enough, they move. This is what it looks like:

I've taken this from my perspective on the bed. You can see my bedside table on the bottom left of the picture. She is moving the far puppy panel to gain access to the bedside table and therefore access to the bed. Although this is an inconvenience it is also a safety issue as it is not safe for her to be climbing up here (access to open windows for starters).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried tying all the panels together with string but she can still move the final one enough to squeeze past it. As you can see the final one is up against a wardrobe and that's where she's pulling it open.

House rabbits are exhausting :lol:

Last edited:
Where I had panels that couldn't be secured to something, I had to put heavy chairs in front of it so they couldn't move it. A real pain!

Could you move the last panel forward a bit and tie it to the wardrobe handles maybe? Although she still might be able to pull it enough at the bottom to move it.

Oh I love RU. Great suggestions, thanks everyone.

It's nice to know marbles isn't just a little (insert rude word here) and that other people have had similar problems!

Actually tying to the wardrobe handle could be an easy solution and I hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a go. Those ties do look good too zoobec so thanks, I'm just using string at the moment which isn't great and also marbles tends to chew them off :roll:

Also actually the chair idea is good as I have a big box that I might be able to put there, I'll just have to check that doesn't allow her to jump over it!

:thumb: yes RU is fab :love:

Those tie wraps lock in place really well and you can tighten them as much or as little as you want, I cut the ends off and they've never chewed them, despite Dandy and Beano being serial chewers :roll: They're my solution to loads of things :lol:

:thumb: yes RU is fab :love:

Those tie wraps lock in place really well and you can tighten them as much or as little as you want, I cut the ends off and they've never chewed them, despite Dandy and Beano being serial chewers :roll: They're my solution to loads of things :lol:

Fab, thanks so much!

I'm sorry, but... :lol::lol::lol: I think Marbles is fantastic! :love:

(Tho, admittedly, I might not laugh if it was my buns).

I always have a pack of those ties, as I often rearrange the puppy panels in the garden. When I've used the puppy panels indoors for bonding, I have noticed that some buns are strong enough to push the bottom of the puppy panel and make a big enouth gap at the bottom, so worth putting ties near the bottom too! However this dooesn't secure the last panel to the wardrobe.

One option would be to use gaffa tape to secure the edge of the puppy panel on the side of the wardrobe (though gaffa tape is quite capable of removing wood veneer, so only do this if you don't mind the side of the wardrobe being damaged!)

My pair drag these panels around too :roll:. I saw Bea open the run by moving a panel that I'd forgotten to attach, let Jasper out and then pull the panel back into place to lock him out :lol::lol:. Just when I solve one problem they learn how to do something else!

I was putting 2 litre bottles of pop against mine :wave: that was for Maizie and Daisy though and they don't stand much chance of knocking them over :lol:
Definitely be careful using a chair or a box as it might give her the height to jump over :roll:

Eta - wouldn't the box have to go on the side where the bedside table is so she can't push the panel?

I was putting 2 litre bottles of pop against mine :wave: that was for Maizie and Daisy though and they don't stand much chance of knocking them over :lol:
Definitely be careful using a chair or a box as it might give her the height to jump over :roll:

Eta - wouldn't the box have to go on the side where the bedside table is so she can't push the panel?

She's actually pulling the panel rather than pushing it. I've seen her do it and to her credit it is kind of impressive! She pulls and pulls until it opens outwards, basically like pulling a door open :roll:

Marbles likes to chew water bottles so I don't think that'd work but a weight of somesort combined with those plastic ties I think is going to be the way forward.

She's actually pulling the panel rather than pushing it. I've seen her do it and to her credit it is kind of impressive! She pulls and pulls until it opens outwards, basically like pulling a door open :roll:

Marbles likes to chew water bottles so I don't think that'd work but a weight of somesort combined with those plastic ties I think is going to be the way forward.
Oh goodness :roll:
I think I'd possibly be looking to attach something to the panel so that she couldn't get a grip on the bars

My pair drag these panels around too :roll:. I saw Bea open the run by moving a panel that I'd forgotten to attach, let Jasper out and then pull the panel back into place to lock him out :lol::lol:. Just when I solve one problem they learn how to do something else!

Haha, this is exactly what I was saying to a friend recently - as soon as I solve one problem and think I've finally bunny proofed, she figures out another way around it! They are such hard work :lol:

Oh goodness :roll:
I think I'd possibly be looking to attach something to the panel so that she couldn't get a grip on the bars

Hmm that's an interesting idea. Thanks everyone for some really helpful suggestions. I will not be beaten by a rabbit :lol:

Just thinking, could you attach a couple of brackets with a holes in it to the bedside table something like this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/290972786033?nav=SEARCH&varId=590157280523 you can get straight ones too, you could screw it in to the table with one hole and cable tie the panel on with the other? Or maybe even a big headed screw through the tight loop of the cable tie would work?

You lot are geniuses! That is a super idea. Off to b&q tomorrow. I will keep you posted on my progress and whether I mamage to keep marbles at bay!!

You lot are geniuses! That is a super idea. Off to b&q tomorrow. I will keep you posted on my progress and whether I mamage to keep marbles at bay!!
:thumb: it's Marbles vs you and RU :lol: you might be able to get cable ties at B&Q too

I usually attach these to each other with bulldog clips - quick and easy to take off and put back on. Or to attach them to things I screw eyelets into the furniture and hook them through those :lol: No good if you're precious about the furniture though!

Back