• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy is unwell had a trip to emergency vets! Update..

Rab-bit

Alpha Buck
Over the past 6 weeks Poppy has had aome problems with her back feet. I first noticed she was limping on her left leg, thinking maybe she had done an over zealous Binky I gave her Metacam for 5 days and she was much better (no limping). 4/5 days later her right back leg went the same way she was limping only putting weight onto her hocks when she sat down. I gave her Metacam and again she brightened up and was fine.. I wanted to book her in for a check up but I hadn't gotten round to it and after reading similar things on here I was going to demand an x-ray to check for arthritis in her hips.

On a side note her back claws were quite long, and I thought the two injuries could be coincidence and maybe she had caught a nail on her right foot.

Anyway this brings us to today, this morning she had her breakfast as normal but each time I went out to check on the buns I couldn't really see her but spotted her laying in her usual spot. This seemed to be the case all day, then at 6 I thought I would go in and say hello properly. To my horror Pop was laid in the corner, her back end was soaking and covered in mud, she didn't move when I entered and looked to be breathing really shallow, she even let me stroke her and her ears were so cold, so in a bunny mummy panic, I got her in a carry case, as soon as this came out she struggled up ran away back out into the dirt and mud, I had to crawl belly first on to the mud to retrieve her, anyhow my favourite vet was on shift tonight and he gave her a thorough check. She was hopping ok but when she sat she did so lopsided with her right leg out. He previously noticed molar spurs (a year ago) and checked these, he let me look too, he said to bring her back in, as he would like to take x-rays of her spine, hips and legs and file her spurs whilst she is sedated, this was a good outcome, so she will be going in on Weds. He gave her some vetergesic, Metacam and Zantac and sent us home. She has ran straight back into the mud and didn't have any food she doesnt look good :(. Please can I have some vibes and I am sorry for such a long post ....

Last edited:
Thanks for the vibes everyone. Poppy is doing better this morning still not herself but she has eaten some hay, fibre first sticks and had her Metacam and Zantac. :thumb:

Hi Jayne, no he said that he wasn't too worried about her general health, but he could see there was a problem with her right back leg, he said to give her Metacam until weds and keep going with the Zantac. On weds she will be staying in for the day or until they get to the bottom of the problem, I do have confidence in him and I know he wouldn't have sent her home if he wasn't sure. He was saying how he had been to Edinburgh uni recently to attend seminars on rabbit care and the exotics vets there have concluded that whenever treating a rabbit sending them home with gut meds and Metacam should be a minimum due to the stress and strain they are put under.

I hope he can get to the bottom of the problems and I can't wait for her to have her spurs filed, although they aren't causing her problems as she is a good hay/grass eater, I hate knowing they are there.

Im sorry she is feeling unwell :( I do hope the x rays will show something you can treat so you can get to the bottom of the cause. Healing thoughts your way xxo

Thank you for the thoughts and vibes. She is pooing and eating normally but that's because she is on medicine so it's hard to tell what she would be like without it?! Unfortunately Moley her husbun is not at all caring when she is ill in fact he is even more of a bully and that's quite upsetting. They haven't had a fight but she is a little scared of him :(

I really hope the X-rays give us some answers so that we can stop her pain. Not looking forward to taking her it makes me feel sick, when I know I have to take her to the vets as it stresses her out so much.

Oh well... These things need to be done! :roll:

Poor little Pop has arthritis. It is more prevalent in her right leg, hip and the tail end of her spine. :( she is now on Metacam for life (luckily she likes it), and the vet recommended these oxbow cubes which act as a lubricant for the joints.

I am so glad that I took her saturday and that my vet backed up my suspicions and suggested x-rays without me having to push for them like a barmy bunny lady. Also it makes me feel like I really know my buns, as she hasn't been right in herself and the way she was sitting was just wrong!!

I just want to thank RU for helping me provide good care to my lovely bunny family, and for giving me confidence to ask for things/believe in my own judgement :thumb:

Back