• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Antibtiotics - possible missed dose? What to do?

gem6517

Young Bun
Hi there,

Our Mini is getting sub-q injections of antibiotics every other day at the moment for a bladder infection. We gave her her injection today and then shortly afterwards I noticed she has a wet patch on her back, close to where we injected her. I'm wondering if I accidentally put the needle back out the other side...

So I don't know for sure whether she's had her dose or not. She's due for another on Monday. Do I just leave it and give her her next dose as usual? Or give her more now?

Our vets is closed unfortunately until Monday. But she's had some tummy problems from the pen-g injections and has only recently come home after being hospitalised for it so I don't know if I want to risk giving her EXTRA antibiotics. But equally she shouldn't be missing doses of the antibiotic.

Argh! Any advice?

I would give her the next dose as planned-ie on Monday

What abx is it she is having ? If a Penicillin it is essential that she does not lick any of it from her fur, or that another Rabbit does not do so. Oral Penicillin can be fatal for Rabbits.

Thanks for the quick response Jack's Jane! That was my gut feeling, but the OH thought we should give her more.

It's Duphamox which is a penicillin antibiotic, so I've given her a good wipe to make sure there's none on her fur that she, or her buddy Jay, can lick off. Glad I asked, just for that tip!

Thanks for the quick response Jack's Jane! That was my gut feeling, but the OH thought we should give her more.

It's Duphamox which is a penicillin antibiotic, so I've given her a good wipe to make sure there's none on her fur that she, or her buddy Jay, can lick off. Glad I asked, just for that tip!

How soon after giving the last injection did you notice the wet fur ? Straight away ? If there is any chance at all that either Rabbit has been able to ingest some 'leaked out' abx then it is essential you seek immediate Veterinary attention.

How soon after giving the last injection did you notice the wet fur ? Straight away ? If there is any chance at all that either Rabbit has been able to ingest some 'leaked out' abx then it is essential you seek immediate Veterinary attention.

It was maybe a few minutes. But I'm keeping a very close eye on her at the moment (for obvious reasons) and didn't see her do any grooming til AFTER I cleaned it off. Course, she did that just to freak me out - I did clean it very thoroughly.

Just thought I'd update this to say I think what was actually happening was the penicillin was leaking back out of the injection site - the antibiotic is very thick and the needles we were advised to use were larger ones - apparently it can happen. I found that keeping a finger over where the needle went in as I pulled it out and keeping it there for a moment while massaging the area seemed to help. Otherwise it's stinky, oily stuff to get out of the fur, but baby wipes and a wet cloth seemed to get the worst out. A bit of cornflour helps if it's still a bit oily once the fur has dried.

I used to think that but I worked out that with me it was actually where I hadn't got the needle in through the skin properly, you do notice when it goes in. Then I managed to think it was in but the plunger wouldn't go down and that was where it was in the skin rather than through the skin.

Also I find the blue needles much easier than the green ones. Those are thinner but seem big enough not to clog. Helps to give the penicillin bit of a shake a few minutes before drawing it up too.

Hope that makes sense!

It was definitely in - I did check! I found it helpful to wet the fur a bit where I was injecting her so I could actually see what I was doing :)

Luckily, the infection is cleared so no more injections, fingers crossed!

It was definitely in - I did check! I found it helpful to wet the fur a bit where I was injecting her so I could actually see what I was doing :)

Luckily, the infection is cleared so no more injections, fingers crossed!

:thumb:

Back