• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crusty eyes

weedug

Mama Doe
Fluff has a little bit of crusting at the corner of his eyes. I was wondering how best to get it off. I tried bathing it this morning, but it didn't help.

He has a huge thymoma, which will be what has caused it and why he can't sort it himself. He is a nervous bun and has breathing problems now when he is stressed.

I was thinking of bathing a couple of times a day in the hope that it will soften, but anyone any other ideas?

Bumping up for you :wave: hoping someone who can give experienced advice will see this. I would normally bathe something like that with cooled boiled water but will it cause him to stress, and is it something he needs a recheck by the vet for?

Jemima gets this quite often and never been able to clear it up, sometimes it is worse than others. The vets have concluded it is just something she gets and we manage it with bathing every so often

What is thymoma?

Jemima gets this quite often and never been able to clear it up, sometimes it is worse than others. The vets have concluded it is just something she gets and we manage it with bathing every so often

What is thymoma?

http://www.rabbit.org/health/thymoma.html

Weedug you could try softening the crusting by holding a damp warm swab over it for a few minutes. Then use some Lacri-lube to try to remove the crusting.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/lacri-lube-eye-ointment/prd-341

I do the first thing with swab, the second thing are they eye drops or you mean to put it around the eye and not in the eye?

The Lacri-lube can be used in the eye. But in this instance I mean apply a small amount to the softened crusting around the eye and then gently try to remove it. It wont matter if some of the Lacri-lube goes into the eye, it is just a lubricant.

Thanks for the tip Jane. I hadn't thought of that.

It's just a little bit of crusting, but is stubborn to come off and I think he would be more comfortable if I could fix it.

Mimzy gets this all the time now but I think it may be partly due to his eyedrops and not just his current dryness issue. Fortunately he doesn't seem to mind a little warm water on a soft cloth but it takes a long time to get the really chunky stuff off. Recently while I was ill he came to visit Fiver with me on the bed and Fiver did a good job of cleaning him up. :) He tends to nibble a bit though and that makes Mimzy recoil. :( (Can't blame him)

I hope you'll be able to help Fluff with his eyes without any stress. Dear wee bub, sending calming and comfy vibes to you both. xxxxx

I got help with this recently; make a cup of black tea, then remove tea bag and let it cool down. Using the cooled tea bag, wipe around the eye (or hold against eye for a short while).

I did this, and Poppet's eye cleared up over night. :thumb: The tannin in the tea is apparently very good. She sat absolutely still, so I think it was soothing.

Thanks for all the replies. I done what Jane suggested, and it has already worked a treat. I thought I would put a little cream on regularly to try to keep the area comfortable.

Back