PDA

View Full Version : sore hocks on a rex rabbit

bunnynewbie.x
27-06-2014, 10:31 PM
hello :wave:
My name is Ann-Marie and me and my partner brought a rex rabbit in nov 2013 called hazel. A few months ago we noticed she had sore hocks, so we took her to the vet and the vet squeezed puss out of 1 hock gave us some antibiotics for her for 10 10day we went back to a follow up appointment and the vet gave her 10 more days of antibiotics and said we didn't need a follow up appointment, but even though 1 hock has cleared up nicely and all the other symptom's of sore hocks has gone we noticed that her other hock is still looking like puss in there and even though she is very healthy bunny.
We are wondering if its like a blood blister and will take time to go away or if we should try and pop it to try and squeeze out any puss that could be remaining,
any advice would be gratefully received
kind regards
Ann-Marie

Zoobec
28-06-2014, 12:17 AM
Bumping up for you :thumb: sorry I haven't had to deal with sore hocks so can't offer advice.

Jack's-Jane
28-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Hello

Rex Rabbits are very prone to sore hocks due to their lack of guard hairs in their fur.

Unfortunately if there is infection then the condition is potentially very serious, the infection can go into the tendons and/or the bone. So your Doe definitely requires more treatment. I am concerned that you dont mention that the Vet prescribed any anti-inflammatory pain relief-eg Metacam. Sore hocks can be very painful and the inflammation/ulceration will get worse without a NSAID (Metacam). This leads to more breaking down of soft tissue, increasing the risks of further infection and increasing the amount of ongoing pain for the Rabbit.

What type of substrate do you keep your Doe on ? Rexes do not do well on carpet (too abrasive)/concrete/lino (both too hard) etc.

I would get your Doe back to a Vet ASAP.

There is some information about sore hocks (AKA Ulcerative Pododermatitis) here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/s/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

This video contains some useful information. But any 'Home Treatments' (ie the chlorhexidine foot soak) should only be attempted AFTER consulting a Vet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGQeqhHsT4Q

bunnynewbie.x
28-06-2014, 09:55 AM
hello :wave:
thank you she was on lino at first which we think was the cause of the sore hocks she is now on a 3-4 inch layer of hay , We were only prescribe hippy scrub and the antibiotics , she shows no signs of her being sore and all the redness and swelling is gone I will post up some photos , its just the blob of what looks like puss on the side of one hock that's always worried us as the other one complete healed once the puss was squeezed out I just trying to work out why the vet said we don't need to return as he has seen her twice each time with the blob on her hock thank you for your reply
kind regards
Ann-Marie