• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female female pair

Koo09

New Kit
Our local rescue has a lot of female pairs that I am going to see at the weekend. Please can you share your experiences of how f:f pairs work? Can f:f pairs be long-lasting? Is it better to try to introduce a male early on? They have a mix of mothers and sisters that need rehoming and I would love to help but have always had m:f pairs. Thank you x:D

F:f is considered the most difficult of pairings, I have had my Apricot and Ginger from babies, they are sisters, and apart from hormonal humping before spaying they get on well. But they aren't affectionate with each other and don't groom one another. They're now bonded with my m:m pair, Dandy and Beano who are brothers. The dynamics are better now they are with the boys. :thumb: hopefully someone will answer who has long term f:f pair

I have two sister bunnies. They are about 9 months old and I've had them since January. They're my first rabbits so I can't compare them to anything but they love each other so much. They both groom each other and they never fight. Maddie occasionally chases Millie but there never seems to be any nipping etc. They were spayed very young as they were in rescue so I think that's why there's never been any hormonal or humping problems between them.

Many years ago I had a pair of sisters who were happily bonded. But when I took on an abandoned bun (vet said he was female) I added the third bun to the pair of sisters (then found out he was male :shock:) he quickly had the snip and was bonded with the sisters ...however it did impact on the sisters as one bonded more to the boy and the other sister became more isolated which was very sad to see.

So personally, I wouldn't add a third bun to a very happy couple of any sex.

The RSPCA actually described my two on the website as very cute to watch how much they love each other and this was them last week

My two have always had a bit of a love/hate relationship :lol: When we first got them Lana bullied Luna a little, nothing too aggressive but would try and stop her from leaving the cage and going near any of us. After a while that changed and they got close. Just before they were spayed Luna became very aggressive and would rip off chunks of Lana's skin :shock: They were separated after that but obviously missed eachother alot. I put them back together as soon as they were spayed and they are much better. They cuddle up and groom eachother all the time but Luna will sometimes suddenly have a go at Lana for no apparent reason and rip out little chunks of fur. Nothing compared to before and it doesn't happen very often at all so I don't have any plans to separate them again at the moment. It's a hard one because although they're very affectionate towards eachother, the bullying comes and goes.

Good luck!

Poppy had been a single bun for about 4 years before I bonded her with Parker.... When I got Parker I thought she was a he so was expecting a M:F bond but ended up with a F:F bond! They never ever fought, even when I first out them together there was no chasing or fur flying and seemed really good companions almost straight away. Poppy used to groom Parker but did also go through phases of humping her. Parker never used to groom Poppy and seemed to put up with the humping! Never having a M:F bond I obv can't be sure but seeing pics on here I never used to think them closely bonded but more like good friends....if that makes sense! Now Poppy has gone to the bridge I will shortly be bonding Parker to Hugo so I guess I will find out (fingers crossed I am successful!) what a M:F bond is like!

I have 2 female sister buns who have never 'really' fallen out. They never leave each others side and you will always find them doing the same thing :p Mine are spayed and so up till now It's been fine! I've had them for over a year now.:love:

The best pairs I've ever had were female/female. Several of them over the years. Spayed, unspayed, and one of each.

Most of mine were pairs that were either sisters, or met each other when young. One pair bonded on their own after going through a trauma together. (dog attacked rabbit shed)

Many of the pairs our closest rabbit rescue offer are female/female.

Thank you all so much for the information. I visited the rescue this afternoon and fingers crossed I will be mummy to an all female trio soon!! :D

Not what I expected but these beautiful girls need and deserve a 5* home and IF I do have any problems down the line I will cross that bridge if we come to it.

I'm so excited :love:

Back