• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding older bunnies - experiences?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I have been thinking about Digby a lot lately as he is getting old now, he has arthritis in his hips and his tooth root problems. He and Daisy really love each other. But i know Daisy will be devastated when he goes :(
I know it is always a risk trying to bond a trio, i was just thinking about trying Olly with them... Do you think it would be unfair on Digby to put him through that? I just don't want Daisy to be alone.

Personally I wouldn't try it, no, but not because of the age as such. I think it's more risky and more unsettling for a happy pair of bunnies to attempt to bond a trio now...they're not living in the same anticipation of the future that you are, so they won't understand why a third bunny has suddenly come into their relationship and it could end up altering the dynamic and making it worse, or ending up with 3 single bunnies.

I remember Anne McBride was asked this question at the last conference, and she said think about it in the context of humans (which we all know they're not, but nevertheless). She said you wouldn't bring home another person to live with you and your current partner, because if your current partner died you'd be lonely, so why use the same logic with bunnies.

Just my opinion of course, but personally I think if existing bunnies are happy in their pairing, then I wouldn't upset it in anticipation of a future possibility, but would wait until that occurred and consider the best thing to do at that point.

Good luck x

Personally I wouldn't try it, no, but not because of the age as such. I think it's more risky and more unsettling for a happy pair of bunnies to attempt to bond a trio now...they're not living in the same anticipation of the future that you are, so they won't understand why a third bunny has suddenly come into their relationship and it could end up altering the dynamic and making it worse, or ending up with 3 single bunnies.

I remember Anne McBride was asked this question at the last conference, and she said think about it in the context of humans (which we all know they're not, but nevertheless). She said you wouldn't bring home another person to live with you and your current partner, because if your current partner died you'd be lonely, so why use the same logic with bunnies.

Just my opinion of course, but personally I think if existing bunnies are happy in their pairing, then I wouldn't upset it in anticipation of a future possibility, but would wait until that occurred and consider the best thing to do at that point.

Good luck x

i totally agree with all of the above x

You could look at it another way (from a female human's point of view.... have two husbands so that if one runs off with another woman, at least you'd still have one until you have chance to find a second husband again :lol::lol:) Of course bunnies don't tend to be unfaithful and run off with another female bunny as soon as they can! Not that I'm cynical :lol:

Back