• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny cage?

LLO

New Kit
Right now I have a holland lop who's medium size and she's in a cage that's 62" in length,
42" in width
And 28" in height
She also has a ledge in she can jump up onto.
In a couple months I'm thinking about getting another medium sized holland lop, and eventually I want to bond them and have them in the same cage. Should I expand the cage for two medium sized holland lop bunnies to live in? If I should,
To what size?

Hi, the rwaf recommended minimum for a rabbit or pair of rabbits is a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft cage permanently attached to a run of 8ft x 4ft, giving a total of 44 sq ft of permanently accessible space. If your bunny is an indoor bunny you could expand space fairly easily using puppy pens.

That's a nice size cage (17 sq. ft.) which easily meet the living space requirements (12 sq. ft.) so would comfortable house two bunnies. Then it's just the exercise space - how do you do that at the moment? If, for example, she spends the day running about a room then that would be fine as is. If she spends most of the time in the cage then extending it or adding a wire puppy pen to provide a bit more space to run about would be a good idea.

I think as much space as possible is always better so if you've got room to expand then go for it - they'll enjoy the extra play room.

Just a note on bonding - it generally works out easiest with neutered bunnies of the opposite sex :)

That's a nice size cage (17 sq. ft.) which easily meet the living space requirements (12 sq. ft.) so would comfortable house two bunnies. Then it's just the exercise space - how do you do that at the moment? If, for example, she spends the day running about a room then that would be fine as is. If she spends most of the time in the cage then extending it or adding a wire puppy pen to provide a bit more space to run about would be a good idea.

I think as much space as possible is always better so if you've got room to expand then go for it - they'll enjoy the extra play room.

Just a note on bonding - it generally works out easiest with neutered bunnies of the opposite sex :)

Hi sorry, I'm new to this site so hopefully I'm doing this right, but I leave her cage open for about 8-9 hours a day and she can run around my room and yes thank you I know, I'm planning on getting a neutered male.

Hi sorry, I'm new to this site so hopefully I'm doing this right, but I leave her cage open for about 8-9 hours a day and she can run around my room and yes thank you I know, I'm planning on getting a neutered male.

Yes, but really they should be supervised if running around freely as they generally will chew anything they can reach. Anything. They may also swallow stuff they shouldn't as well. If they are enclosed in say a puppy pen and have their own toys and stuff and can't get out, then unsupervised is fine. If however they have access to your cupboards, bedding, toys (don't know how old you are, sorry), or just general personal belongings then no, they must be supervised to avoid damaging your things and avoiding medical emergencies.

Yes, that would be fine for two then :)

Like Angie says, do watch your bunny proofing though. A new rabbit might not be as well behaved (or might target different thing) as your current bunny so watch out for wires/furniture that might be a hazard.

Yes, but really they should be supervised if running around freely as they generally will chew anything they can reach. Anything. They may also swallow stuff they shouldn't as well. If they are enclosed in say a puppy pen and have their own toys and stuff and can't get out, then unsupervised is fine. If however they have access to your cupboards, bedding, toys (don't know how old you are, sorry), or just general personal belongings then no, they must be supervised to avoid damaging your things and avoiding medical emergencies.

Yes I'm in my room with her when she's running around, I just sit and do my work when she's out.

Back