• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Milo has a scratch inside his ear? (What to do?)

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
This rabbit gets into SO much trouble...Finn has never had anything wrong with him :roll: Please excuse the sleep in Milo's eyes, he does get sleepy eyes because Finn won't clean them. I have to do it morning and night for him... :roll: It is only tiny I know but I always like to check in case its something I've not seen?

Tonight when I did the rabbits bum, ear and claw check Milo has a little scratch inside his ear? I can't figure out if its just a nail scratch because it just doesn't look like a nail scratch? Surely a nail scratch would drag? His nails are sharp but they aren't long?

I got the OH to bribe him with some broccoli and I gave it a little gentle wipe over with some clean water and it did have a little blood on the cloth, but barely any really. (His ear fur is wet because this is after I gave it a wipe) It was more like a tiny dot. His ears look clean otherwise? Think what I have done is OK and I should just check it in the morning?

Last edited:
It could be that he's caught it on a sharper piece of hay, this happened to Marble the other day :wave:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It could be that he's caught it on a sharper piece of hay, this happened to Marble the other day :wave:

I didn't think of that, so you think nothing to worry about as long as It clears up in a day or two? (I always have horrible nightmares of mites and stuff even though I doubt they would get them)

I didn't think of that, so you think nothing to worry about as long as It clears up in a day or two? (I always have horrible nightmares of mites and stuff even though I doubt they would get them)
I worried, and took Marble to the vet. This was hers
y5a7umup.jpg
the vet took the scab off and it looked just like Milo's. knowing what I know now, I would keep an eye on it, and an eye out for anymore but wouldn't be worrying just yet :thumb:

Are they lops tashp90 and Sarah1991? How on earth have they managed to get poked so far in their ears the little minxes?!!

If it makes you feel any better Sarah, this is a pic from last month of the damage Dangermouse managed to do to her ear when scratching :roll: I didn't even take her to vet as she can be such an idiot sometimes :lol:

Are they lops tashp90 and Sarah1991? How on earth have they managed to get poked so far in their ears the little minxes?!!

If it makes you feel any better Sarah, this is a pic from last month of the damage Dangermouse managed to do to her ear when scratching :roll: I didn't even take her to vet as she can be such an idiot sometimes :lol:

Yeah Marble is an English lops so has quite big ears...The way she throws her around the place I'm not surprised she caught herself...her ears fly everywhere :lol:

Yeah Marble is an English lops so has quite big ears...The way she throws her around the place I'm not surprised she caught herself...her ears fly everywhere :lol:

Helicopter!! :lol: :love:

You should make a video of her running in slow mo to the soundtrack of Chariots of Fire :lol:
Haha I will when she's bonded with the other two and in the bigger room. Seeing her binky is so funny, she's not as small and delicate as the other two :lol::love:

Just a wee reminder that if your Rabbit has signs of scratches on his/her ears it is always necessary to get the Vet to take a look to make sure that there is not a problem within the ear canal itself- eg mites or an infection. This is especially important in Lops who are very prone to ear problems.

I know some of you Have taken your Rabbit to the Vet and all was found to be well. But just incase others read this thread and think a few superficial scratches on the ear are nothing to worry about I thought I'd better flag up the importance of consulting a Vet. Experience has taught me that with ear problems what can seem to be nothing actually indicates the start of a bigger problem. The sooner the situation is assessed by a Vet the better, in my opinion :)

Just a wee reminder that if your Rabbit has signs of scratches on his/her ears it is always necessary to get the Vet to take a look to make sure that there is not a problem within the ear canal itself- eg mites or an infection. This is especially important in Lops who are very prone to ear problems.

I know some of you Have taken your Rabbit to the Vet and all was found to be well. But just incase others read this thread and think a few superficial scratches on the ear are nothing to worry about I thought I'd better flag up the importance of consulting a Vet. Experience has taught me that with ear problems what can seem to be nothing actually indicates the start of a bigger problem. The sooner the situation is assessed by a Vet the better, in my opinion :)

Is it worth me taking him to the vet and paying for consultation for this scratch alone? The vet causes very high stress in my two and I would have to take both along if I went?

If I noticed anything more developing from it or if any more appeared suddenly I would be straight there, surely we cannot rush straight to the vet for a small superficial scratch? (Also when I checked this morning it hasn't changed really. Just scabbed over a little more.

I don't know? I would be there all the time with Milo hes always getting into bother. :roll:

Last edited:
As usual when I discussed with my mum abut taking Milo to get the scratch checked I was told to ''Not be stupid'' and ''People are just being cranks''

Then when I explained about it maybe not being just a scratch and possibly being a sign of something else she just said ''Just see how it goes'' and to ''Chill out'' :(

Never know if I'm being silly and over cautions or whether I'm doing the right thing...

I've made an appointment for just after 6 tonight. I almost feel silly going with something as small and daft looking as this.

I just begrudge paying £26 for a consultation when the vet might take a look and tell me that its only a scratch! :? These vets are poking my eyes out.

I've made an appointment for just after 6 tonight. I almost feel silly going with something as small and daft looking as this.

I just begrudge paying £26 for a consultation when the vet might take a look and tell me that its only a scratch! :? These vets are poking my eyes out.

I have to admit for that scratch I wouldn't immediately take mine to the vet. IMO that's like taking your child to the doctor every time they fall over and scrape their knee! However I would keep an eye on it and if it got any worse, or other symptoms appeared I would then go.

I have to admit for that scratch I wouldn't immediately take mine to the vet. IMO that's like taking your child to the doctor every time they fall over and scrape their knee! However I would keep an eye on it and if it got any worse, or other symptoms appeared I would then go.

The thing is though i'm not sure it is a scratch! If you look closely at it its not a drag it looks more like a tiny sore patch on his ear. I don't know i'm really conflicted now. Don't know whether to cancel the appointment and wait until Saturday and see how it goes.

Someone give me advice on what to do. :(

The thing is though i'm not sure it is a scratch! If you look closely at it its not a drag it looks more like a tiny sore patch on his ear. I don't know i'm really conflicted now. Don't know whether to cancel the appointment and wait until Saturday and see how it goes.

Someone give me advice on what to do. :(

Well you are the only one who can really see it, but if you are happy to pay the consultation fee and to be told it's nothing then I'd just keep the appointment. Does it look any worse/different than it did yesterday? Does milo seem bothered by it? If he doesn't seem bothered and it's no worse than yesterday personally I'd just see how it goes. But that is my own personal opinion and obviously I am not there to have a look at it in person. So you need to do what you think is best.

I'm thinking I may just cancel the appointment and keep an eye overnight and tomorrow. If it got any worse or I saw anything else I would shoot straight to the vet. My friend who is good with rabbits has been round and had a good look she says there's nothing in his ears, no redness, no crust no nothing, his ears are clean and dry and he doesn't seem bothered by it.

She said its better to wait and see for now. She also said watch for any extra scratching or scratching for extended periods of time. And head shaking.

Ill keep my eyes open, I wouldn't leave him if I didn't fully think he will be ok.

I don't know about scratches but my vets have rabbit clinics with the nurse for free. They check their ears and will give them a bit of a clean up if necessary or apply rearguard. Wonder if you have anything like that that you can just ask the nurse who can then tell you if the vet needs to see it or not.

I don't know about scratches but my vets have rabbit clinics with the nurse for free. They check their ears and will give them a bit of a clean up if necessary or apply rearguard. Wonder if you have anything like that that you can just ask the nurse who can then tell you if the vet needs to see it or not.

I don't think they do anything like that if i'm honest. I did tell her on the phone that I just wanted a quick look over to see if everything was OK and she said its still £26. I wonder if she was wrong though because i'm sure i've seen posters up saying rabbits are cheaper...

Back