• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jemima has a lump on her skin - UD she's had surgery to remove it/ UUD Shes home p2!

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
Jemima my French lop is 5 years old, about the right weight for her size 4.5kg and appears healthy

I noticed a lump about a month ago. Thinking it was matted hair due to her extremely heavy moult, I thought nothing of it, until I find it again when she has nice short fur post mault.

She has had it looked at and the vet took swipes of it and said there was no signs of cancer/melanoma. The second time I took her in the vet checked it again, was concerned at how black it is (very dark black - blood not puss) and cut some off for testing.

Because of Leo, we put her on hold. Now Leo is gone, we are facing this again.

She did say to leave but keep an eye on it and take her back in if it gets bigger (this was after looking at the analysis the first time)

The second time she looked she called to say in her opinion she would advise having it removed

What are the chances she doesn't wake up from this operation? The lump is on the left side of her neck/arm (under her head where that big pillow ring around her neck is).

Can I ask them to shave ALL of her fur off to make sure she has no other lumps and remove them at the same time?

She also has an ear infection - can her ears be flushed at the same time?

She has also developed sore hocks. I have taken her off carpet but I see blood now and again, especially if she freaks out and thumps (e.g. cat walks past window) I am thinking they will need bandaging up? I am worried they will turn into ulcers!

So stressed, everything is happening at once and I am still grieving for Leo :cry:

Last edited:
If the Vet now advises that the lump is removed I would have it done. I would also ask for it to be sent for Histology

I certainly wouldn't want my Rabbit totally shaved, a Vet will be able to thoroughly examine her to check for any more lumps without having to go to that extreme.

There will always be a small element of risk for any living being who is put under GA. If your Vet is 'Bunny Savvy' he/she will ensure that any risk is the bare minimum. There is no such thing as a 100% risk free surgical procedure.

If she has an ear infection I assume she is already on treatment ? The ear canals can be cleaned whilst she is under GA, the Vet will need to exercise caution if the ear drums are perforated

If Jemima has sore hocks it may be due to her having some osteoarthritis in her hips/spine. So Xrays of those areas could be useful, this could be done whilst she was asleep. How the actual sore hocks are managed will depend on the exact extent of the problem and the primary cause. Daily pain relief, eg Metacam, would be essential. Dressings are not always appropriate, your Vet would need to decide if they are in Jemima's case once she has been examined. If Jemima is overweight then that can contribute to problems with sore hocks. It is also important to make sure that the toenails are not overgrown.

I am sorry things are so difficult for you at the moment and I hope that all goes well for Jemima xx

Thanks Jane, I wanted to have it off as soon as I realised it was a lump. I am so scared of it spreading. She has strange lumps on her ears - the vet said these were strange things that rabbits get and not to worry about it - I am worried she may develop skin cancer?

So, I booked her in yesterday for the soonest appointment operation available which is Monday next week.

Got an appointment Friday evening to go through everything - ears, feet, skin and also what you have suggested about "osteoarthritis". She WAS overweight (5.2kg) she is now at a nice weight (4.5kg).

It was since Leo got sick, so for 2 weeks she lived in a carpeted room, and since then this sore hocks developed and her fur has warn away to show bald patches! Now Leo is gone, she is back to having the whole house and evenings she stays in a laminated room with yoga interlocking mats and vet bed

When she walks, she tip toes, poor thing the feet are very sore.

I am hoping it is the carpet that caused this and not anything else.

So, she is off the carpet, on ear drops and has 2 vet appointments - 1 for discussion and 1 for the operation. I think you are right Jane, I think she needs to be on pain relief.

Due to Leo neurological problems (he had EC attack at least twice, we think this is what made him how he was) should we do a full thorough course of lapizole with her? She doesn't show any signs of head tilt, balance problems etc and she has an ear infection (being treated)

Thank you for being there for me xxx

Thanks Jane, I wanted to have it off as soon as I realised it was a lump. I am so scared of it spreading. She has strange lumps on her ears - the vet said these were strange things that rabbits get and not to worry about it - I am worried she may develop skin cancer?

So, I booked her in yesterday for the soonest appointment operation available which is Monday next week.

Got an appointment Friday evening to go through everything - ears, feet, skin and also what you have suggested about "osteoarthritis". She WAS overweight (5.2kg) she is now at a nice weight (4.5kg).

It was since Leo got sick, so for 2 weeks she lived in a carpeted room, and since then this sore hocks developed and her fur has warn away to show bald patches! Now Leo is gone, she is back to having the whole house and evenings she stays in a laminated room with yoga interlocking mats and vet bed

When she walks, she tip toes, poor thing the feet are very sore.

I am hoping it is the carpet that caused this and not anything else.

So, she is off the carpet, on ear drops and has 2 vet appointments - 1 for discussion and 1 for the operation. I think you are right Jane, I think she needs to be on pain relief.

Due to Leo neurological problems (he had EC attack at least twice, we think this is what made him how he was) should we do a full thorough course of lapizole with her? She doesn't show any signs of head tilt, balance problems etc and she has an ear infection (being treated)

Thank you for being there for me xxx

I expect your Vet may advise that a 28 day course of Lapizole is a good idea.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to stress too much about the lumps. In his latter years Morse became a very lumpy Bunny. Some were removed due to their size and/or location. They were all either cystic in nature or 'fatty lumps'. Some lumps were just left and monitored after fine needle aspiration led my Vet to believe that surgery was not necessary. Morse never developed Skin Cancer.

Jemima is going in on Monday for the following to be done under GA:

1. Lump removal
2. Lump hunt
3. Lump scraping of lumps on her ears (she has lots of tiny lumps all over her ears)
4. X Rays to look for things like arthritis
5. Ear flush - she still has thick black gunge in both ears.

She had her hocks checked and they are all healed up nicely so just keeping her off the carpet for now

She is also weighing in at 4.34kg so a good weight - this is what she needs to stay at - it has taken a long time to get her weight down - she was 5.2kg

She is a French lop, but as I know small sized for this breed, and she is 5 years old.

Lets hope all goes well on Monday! x

Relieved she made it - going to pick her up and talk everything through with the vet in about an hour.

Was half expecting a call saying she wouldnt wake back up, so so so relieved. Irrational fear, after Leo passing last week...

Will update with results later x

Relieved she made it - going to pick her up and talk everything through with the vet in about an hour.

Was half expecting a call saying she wouldnt wake back up, so so so relieved. Irrational fear, after Leo passing last week...

Will update with results later x

so pleased it went well, sending many vibes that everything will be ok now x

Thanks everyone :wave:

She had white stuff flushed out of her ears "of cheese consistency" (not all of it could be flushed out, now have mixed solution of wash and antibiotics to drop in both ears)

The X rays showed her hips are in very good shape, its her toes that have extremely bad arthritis (metacam prescribed)

The lump was removed and sent off for analysis

Another lump, located on her ear (albeit extremely small), cut off and sent for analysis (she has several small lumps on one ear).

Here is what was done / 3 last things are meds I have to give for 2 weeks

62.83 - General Anesthetic rabbit
60.00 - X RAY 1st plate
34.64 - X RAY subsequent plate
83.80 - Lump removal (grade 1)
69.48 - Lab histopath hist
20.00 - Flush Ears (grade 1)
05.96 - Before X Ear Solution 0.35ML
07.26 - Marbocyl 1% SA INJ 80ML (mixed with above for ear solution)
10.29 - Metacam oral 0.20ML

354.26 Total.

She is eating and is just very sleepy and wobbly right now x

Last edited:
Just to add, vet thinks we will need to medicate with metacam for rest of life due to arthritis - may have to source a cheap supplier, any suggestions welcome x

Hope Jemima is feeling better soon.

VetUk is probably one of the cheapest online. That's where I get mine. You will need a vet's prescription for it.

Aww, glad she's doing well. It's a lot all at once but at least now you've a better idea of what's going on - or will once the results are back. If she's got arthritis in her toes that could definitely explain her putting more weight on her hocks, so hopefully the metacam will make her more comfy and prevent the sore hocks in future. Fingers crossed the results on the lumps is good news :)

Back