• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ear surgery advice

snuffle_munch

Warren Scout
Hello guys,

So went to the vets tonight to find out my mini lop Presley has an ear infection in his left ear. And a slight nerve damage. The vets are sending him for a cal scan tomorrow to see how far the infection is in his ear. They have stated that the think the best way to clearly this up in surgery. I just want to know if anyone rabbit has had this done or would you recommend just going down the antibiotic root. As I really don't want him to be under for 4 hour having a part of his inner ear removed. Plus as he could not be insured it's going to cost me £2000 in totally, which I'm will to some how pay if this is his best option x x

My personal opinion based on a fair bit of first hand experience with Rabbits who have chronic ear infections is that I would only opt for extensive surgery as a very last resort. Having a smallish abscess removed is one thing, a total ear canal resection and ablation is another matter entirely. The latter is a major operation. If both ears are effected then it obviously involves bilateral surgery usually done ON separate occasions. So at least two GAs would be needed.

GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS LINK

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Ear/ear_surgery.pdf

Obviously each case needs to be addressed individually, I can only give my opinion based on how many times I have seen further problems occur despite extensive surgery(not always my own Rabbits) My views may be biased, but I'd have to think long and hard before subjecting a Rabbit to extensive ear surgery again.

Thank you so much Jane. I was really hoping someone who say that as I've had a look online and was really not liking the look of what it said.

I was back at the Vets this morning and when I asked if there was other option the told me no and he would have to have the surgery done or he could live in a life of pain (this was before he'd even had the CT scan) Im just at a total lose :cry:

I wondering if any of your rabbits just went down the antibiotic root and did they come out of it alright. x

Thank you so much Jane. I was really hoping someone who say that as I've had a look online and was really not liking the look of what it said.

I was back at the Vets this morning and when I asked if there was other option the told me no and he would have to have the surgery done or he could live in a life of pain (this was before he'd even had the CT scan) Im just at a total lose :cry:

I wondering if any of your rabbits just went down the antibiotic root and did they come out of it alright. x

I think much depends on the extent of the infection. I have had at least 3 Rabbits who's ear disease was controlled by systemic and topical antibiotics and ear canal cleaning. Pain relief too of course. I am not saying that I would 100% never opt for surgery, just that I'd have to be as sure as I could be that it had the potential of being curative and that the individual Rabbit did not have other health issue to take into account too. I very much doubt I would put a geriatric Rabbit through such major and painful surgery.

If you trust your Vet then I'd be guided by them. My Vet is of the opinion that just because major surgical options are there it is not always appropriate to proceed with them. Sometimes what could be done and what should be done are very different.

Thank you again Jane.

The Vets i have taken him to is the Royal Edinburgh Vet School which I have been highly recommend so heres hoping they know what they are taking about.

All I want is what is best for him, dont want him to be in any sort of pain.

I cant thank you enough for taking the time out to send over that PDF and helping me out x

Thank you again Jane.

The Vets i have taken him to is the Royal Edinburgh Vet School which I have been highly recommend so heres hoping they know what they are taking about.

All I want is what is best for him, dont want him to be in any sort of pain.

I cant thank you enough for taking the time out to send over that PDF and helping me out x

He is definitely in good hand at The Royal. Once the CT scan is done I would have a frank discussion with them about the likelihood of surgery being curative. Obviously they cant give you a cast iron guarantee, but I'd express your concerns about such major surgery and how whilst it may be technically possible you need to be certain that it is ethically the right option for your Rabbit.

Good luck xx

Back