• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass v Hay and Dental Issues

trudi

Warren Scout
Hi.

I have a seven year old rabbit called Charlie who has to have a molar tooth burred as a spur keeps growing towards his tongue. His first dental was 6 months ago and since then has had another three, each time he goes about a week less than the last.

Although he doesn't each much hay he does eat a lot of grass and forage. I was just wondering whether hay wears teeth down more than grass?

Thanks.

I think it depends on the variety of hay/ grass, have you tried mixing grass/forage into his hay, or mixing readigrass or grated carrot or his pellet ration into the hay to encourage him to eat it? Or tried different hays? One of my bridge buns was a dental bun, (6monthly) and she didn't eat much hay, once I managed to get her eating hay and more grass she didn't need any more dentals :thumb:

My dental bun has both grass and hay and as advised on here I sprinkle minimal pellets or goodies on and she forages through and is eating lots more hay and grass. She is not a hay eater at all! She has readigrass, grass, timothy hay, apple leaves and sticks all bundled together and she munches through it all we had a protest of a couple of days where she wouldn't eat, but now it's that or nothing.

Usually ever 5 weeks but we are on week six :D

Back